Logo

1986 100 hp 4 cyl Evinrude Starflite ignition problems

pegs1

"I just recently got a boat an

"I just recently got a boat and motor. They both looked really clean for their age. The guy said he had the motor worked on because it was missing at high speed.

He said everything in the ignition had been replaced. The pulse control, coil, ignition wires, and spark plugs all looked new.

It will start but runs like its possessed by the devil. Barely idles and runs rougher as you increase the rpms.

I pulled the plugs to check TDC on the pistons. It looks like the right wires are going to the right plugs. (I say that not knowing for sure which plugs come from which port on the distributor.)

I tried a timing light but could only get a reliable "flash" on #1. An intermittent on #3 and nothing on 2 and 4.

I pulled the plugs and grounded them to the head and got the same result. #1 fired consistently #3 was really dirty and covered with carbon. 2 and 4 were wet clean and no spark at all.

I pulled the fly wheel to check the condition of the distributor... the thing the SP wires go to.

When I got that off. I found a doughnut shaped metal part underneath that had what looked like a burn mark on it. When I looked on the bottom it was definitely cracked and appeared to have some flash marks from arcing.

The base of the shaft and the spring washer were both really corroded. I don't what that thing is or what it does but I thought maybe if had to be a ground or connection. It probably wasn't working with all the corrosion on it.

I have been looking for a new one but have no idea what that thing is called.

Any body got any ideas what that thing is.

Also while I have this off and apart. Figuring the mechanic never pulled the fly wheel when he changed "all of the ignition parts". Is there anything else I should be changing while I'm at it?

292691.jpg
dist 1"">
292692.jpg
dist 2"">
292693.jpg
dist 3

I don not believe that you hav

I don not believe that you have a 1986 engine. It seems to me that you have an ignition system from an engine that is a bit older.

It looks like a dist cap and r

It looks like a dist cap and rotor to me. A 1986 engine does not have these parts. Could you supply a model number and we can find out what you have.

Yeah. I think I got a little

Yeah. I think I got a little dislexick there. How about a 1968 does that sound more like it?

Pictures are pretty bad. Had to keep them under 100k So I'll go take some more tomorrow and repost
them
Thanks Guys

"That is still available from

"That is still available from the manufacturer, but runs about $250. I probably have a used one if you want to try it."

I have a "wanted" on c

I have a "wanted" on craigslist for another 100 hp starflite just for parts. I'd really like to hear this thing run just long enough to know its worth putting more money into.

What are you asking for the used one you have?

Back