Logo

1985 Mercury Black Max 150 V6 not firing on one side

dkpz64

I have a 1985 Mercury Black Max 150 V6. I started it up this spring to find out that the starboard side is not firing. I unhooked the two yellow wires on the rectifier and started it up and they worked so I thought it was a bad rectifier. I replaced it and it didn't help. thought I got a bad one so I replaced it and still the same problem. No fire on the starboard side. Don't know what to do next. Just a thought, could it be old wiring from the stator.?. It ran fine last year when I put it to bed for the winter. Please help... Thanks

Swap red/blue wire from stator on switchboxes, if problem goes to port side it a bad stator
Well I swapped the red/blue wires with the red-w/blue-w wires and the problem moved to the port side, so as you suggest the stator is bad. But I'm a little confused, I came across some info that said if you remove the two yellow wires from the rectifier and all cylinders fire like they should then the rectifier is bad. That's why I changed it to begin with. Am I missing something? If I change the stator should I change the trigger as well or not? Thanks for the help.

Back