Logo

1985 Mercury 75hp 2stroke 4 cylinder, Tilt wiring question

ejohnson1

Hi Everyone,

I bought a 1985 75hp merc. The guy started it for me on the stand and it ran great, but I wasn't able to test out the tilt/trim but it looked in good shape, clean etc.

I went to hook up the controls (I am replacing a 40hp 1996 force, so controls are the same) but I'm not getting the tilt/trim to work. I wired 14 gauge wires to the tilt solenoids and hooked into the wires from the controls as pictured below. I tested with a multimeter and I'm getting power to the end of the wires. But like I said when I put it on the solenoid, I don't hear any clicking or action except for the very first time I hooked it up... Do I have this hooked up right based on the pictures? I'm thinking maybe the solenoids are bad? Anyone know how much power I should be seeing on the multimeter for these?

In the pictures the new wires are yellow with blue connectors. You can see where I hooked up to the control and where I put them on the solenoids.

IMG-1090.jpgIMG-1089.jpg

You should have 12v+ at the ends.
Which wire have you connected to the blue/white stripe, pic one,in your hand? That's the up wire.
Jump the UP solenoid,top in pic 2 and see if it rises.

You nailed it. I wasn’t getting 12 at the terminal. Turns out that grounding point for the ground wires is no good. I re wired them to a better ground that gave me 12v. Thanks!

Back