Logo

1985 Mercury 2.2hp won't start

ali'i

I just inherited a 1985 Mercury 2.2hp, it hadn't been used in a few years, (gas was drained after last use). Bought new spark plug, (and wire) adjusted to .040. but no spark, checked points, found they weren't opening, so adjusted to .020. Rechecked for spark at plug, it was nice and bright, Then I mixed up some fresh gas and oil (50:1), tried about 20 times, but no start, but did backfire once after about the 10th pull. Water in bucket now has a bit of oil in it. Took carb apart, (it was so clean I could eat from it), Reassembled, but still won't start, minimum shop charge around here is $100 just to look at it, and they say that, may, or may include solving the problem depending on what it is, (not worth it to me). Especially since so many parts are now unavailable. Anyone have any ideas on why it still won't start?. Thank You
On a side note, as I understand motors, they need air, and every other small motor I have, lawnmower, chainsaw, etc, has an airfilter, but this motor doesn't, and doesn't even seem to have any way of getting air to the carb, as the carb cover mounts right onto the carb (where the choke is). the schematics even show this is correct, but it doesn't make sense to me, am I missing something?

Generally there is no dust / gravel out on the water !-Maybe the odd seagull feather I guess.----So does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more ? -Report the result of a test like that.

Generally there is no dust / gravel out on the water !-Maybe the odd seagull feather I guess.----So does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more ? -Report the result of a test like that.

How would I check that?, in laymans terms, (not much experience on motor electrical stuff), Thanks, and can understand no air filter, but still can't figure out where it gets it air supply from, the carb cover that it mounts onto has no hole in it. all pics I have seen of this motor are that way, so must be right, just confusing to a layman like me.

Back