Logo

1985 Mercruiser V8 260hp IO

Greg3483

Hello! I’m hoping somebody out there can give me an opinion/overview of reliability and performance of this engine. I’m not too familiar with this one. It’s in a Boston Whaler GTX 18 footer I’m interested in purchasing. 403 hours on engine. Any info. would be helpful and much appreciated!

Thank You!
Greg

If raw water cooled ( no heat exchanger) or with heat exchanger has a big impact on reliability @ this age... Also run in salt water or fresh a bigger factor...

Personally... on older boats, I assume (for budgetary reasons) that the boat will need a new engine and possibly ( if not well maintained.... mechanically, not just bright and shiny hull ) a new drive and I pay accordingly.

Also.. not a particularly common Whaler model so there's that.

Thank you for the reply, sandkicker....very appreciated. Northern boat never in salt water with closed cooling system. I will be test driving the boat next week. Seller has owned for 20 years, with the same marina/mechanic all those years, and provides glowing reviews of course...we shall see. As for the “uniqueness” of the boat....that’s why my wife and I like it. Whether that’s a good thing will be determined I guess.:confused:
Again...thank you for your help.
Greg

Whalers are quality boats... I suggest you pay for a marine survey, making sure you also get an engine survey. Not all marine surveyors "do" engines and/or /drives....

Always buy a boat for what you want from it...

Great tip...I’ve contacted a surveyor, who does engine surveys as well, to help me out. Thanks for taking the time to help out!

Regards,
Greg

Back