Logo

1985 Merc 18XD Questions

Keith1517

Hey folks, my name is Keith and this is my first post. I recently purchased a used 1985 Merc 18XD. I was going over the motor and two things caught my attention that I need some assistance with. First, is there no kill switch? There is the stop switch in the tiller handle but nowhere to connect a lanyard to kill the motor in case of being thrown overboard or such. Second is that I found a bolt sitting in the bottom cowl. Looking at the motor from the back of the boat it is the bolt that goes into what I am assuming is the adapter plate from the bottom on the right front. There are five others all with black painted heads that are all snug and in place, three on the left and two on the right. This one is not painted black and does thread into the bottom as well. What has got me confused is that there is a place in the lower cowl that looks as if it was machined to accept the head of the bolt and the washer. I removed the right half of the bottom cowl and inspected it from the inside. There is wear in the fiberglass where the shaft of the bolt has been vibrating but the space for the head and washer is clean with no fraying as would be expected if this was a hole worn in the cowl by a loose bolt. The bolt sits in the recess and a bit of it fits into the bore that it would go into if bolted in place. Any ideas? I know the motor runs without the bolt in place but does it need to be bolted into the bottom of the engine. One other thing. Is there a lever supposed to be on the motor to release it from the trim pin to be tilted forward. I see a rod with a looped end under the cowl but nothing attached. Anyway, sorry to play 20 questions. I appreciate your guidance. This is the first outboard I have owned, I have been using them for years. Thanks again.
Keith

There's usually an Off/ On switch in the left lower cowling. No lanyard switch on those older Mercs.

On the mystery bolt....You'll need to submit a few photographs.

Jeff

Back