Logo

1985 Johnson 140hp 2 stroke - no electrical power

louisorr

G'day!

My 1985 johnson 140hp 2 stroke outboard is having some electrical issues that are quite difficult to describe but I will try make an effort to explain it as simple as possible...

Basically, the engine does not seem to be reacting to the ignition being switched on - at least most of the time. Every now and then while I'm playing around with the engine trying to work out what's wrong, it will spring to life, in that the analogue volt meter on the dash will bounce up to 12.8V and it appears that everything is fine, however, this may only last momentarily OR if i try start the engine or use the trim switch, it will instantly lose all power and the volt meter bounces back down to 0. When I do try start it, if I'm lucky enough to have the engine react to the ignition being switched on, I hear a loud spark come from the outboard and all power is again lost.

I'm inclined to assume that this is an electrical short but for the life of me I have not been able to figure out what is causing it! Any help would be greatly appreciated, I understand my explanation of the problem isn't very detailed but it's very hard to explain as there is no apparent pattern as to when the motor will or won't react to the ignition being switched on.

Thanks!!

Very occasionally the starter will actually spin, most of the time I just here something spark when I do try start it. Can you suggest a way I might be able to test the starter?

thanks!

Thanks for your reply. I have attached a video of me testing the starter. Am I doing this incorrectly or does this mean the starter or solenoid is faulty?

EDIT: the noise in the background is coming from dog clippers not the starter.

Last edited:
Sorry, i just attached the jumper leads straight to the starter and it started spinning normally. Does this mean the solenoid is faulty?

Sorry disregard all that I tested the starter/solenoid incorrectly initially. Both the starter and solenoid are working fine. Any other suggestions on what to check/test in the outboard?

#1 test if you haven't already done it (and you should have) is remove the battery connections and clean them shiny bright and reassemble tightly. Atually, your description in post #1 is pretty classic of poor battery cable connections. If not there, then somewhere else with the wiring, such as loose, rotted, corroded, etc. Everybody is quick to comdemn the solenoid, but that is rarely the case. Could be the key switch also, but again, that is unlikely. Repeating, #1 is battery cables.

#1 test if you haven't already done it (and you should have) is remove the battery connections and clean them shiny bright and reassemble tightly. Atually, your description in post #1 is pretty classic of poor battery cable connections. If not there, then somewhere else with the wiring, such as loose, rotted, corroded, etc. Everybody is quick to comdemn the solenoid, but that is rarely the case. Could be the key switch also, but again, that is unlikely. Repeating, #1 is battery cables.

mate I don’t know how to thank you enough, I was thinking way too hard about this and spent close to 20 hours dismantling bits and testing electronics that I forgot to go back to the basics. Just a bit of sandpaper on the terminals and it fired up straight away.

Thanks very much mate all the best!!

Back