Logo

1985 force 85hp no spark

billythegrape

Contributing Member
No spark on any cylinder. Wiring diagram doesn't seem to match what I have. Can't figure out which wires to test for the stator. Have a dva and regular mm, familiar with the tests as I had a bad cdi last year. Pretty sure it isn't the kill switch, but again the wires are the issue. Can anyone tell me which wires to disconnect and test resistance, etc., Please?20230715_140455.jpg

Bit of other info- I noticed this while performing the link and sync, which I've done before with excellent results. However, I rebuilt my carbs this year and had to redo it. When I went to do the timing portion, there was no pulse on the timing light, and no spark to any cylinder.

I've checked resistance between the blue and yellow wires on the left side of the pic, which is what CDI's guide says to do for checking resistance in the stator- no resistance, almost like a dead short.

Also made sure ground was good everywhere and the battery was fully charged. Engine spins up well and fast.

Got a CDI brand stator on Sunday, should be here this week. Did y'all know that CDI's tech support is no longer free? They helped me before, was disappointed to see that.

I'd heard about the no more freebies a while back.
Screw em!!
outboardignitiondotcom is still free.
Oh yea, we're still free!!

I put a new stator in and nothing. No spark to any cylinder. I am testing spark with the plug connected to the plug wire, then grounded on the threads with a big wire with alligator clips.

Tested trigger, it is good. Have tried the CDI troubleshooting with no luck. Not sure what to do next.

HELP!!

Ok so the original stator was wired wrong according to CDI instructions. I have rewired and no change. I have rechecked dva on the new trigger and the new stator and they both are good. Grounds are good too. Key switch isn't an issue. Both CDI's are CDI brand. One was new last year, the other a couple years ago.

I can't seem to find how to test the CDI's themselves. Anyone know?

The factory says to swap them around if there's no spark on one or more.
Try this:
1. DVA readings should always be taken with everything hooked up. 2. Check for broken wires and terminals, especially inside the plastic plug-in connectors. We recommend that you remove the pins from the connectors using the Rapair R97-6 pin removal tool and visually inspect them. 3. Check the flywheel for broken or loose magnets. 4. Disconnect the kill wires from the CD and connect a DC voltmeter between the kill wires and engine ground, turn the ignition switch on and off several times. If, at any time, you see voltage appearing on the meter, there is a problem in the harness or ignition switch. At NO TIME SHOULD YOU SEE BATTERY VOLTAGE ON A KILL CIRCUIT. 5. Visually inspect stator for burned or discolored areas. If found, replace the stator. If the areas are on the battery charge windings, it indicated a possible problem with the rectifier. IF NO FIRE ON ANY CYLINDER: 1. Disconnect the kill wire AT THE PACK. Check for broken or bare wires on the unit, stator and trigger. 2. Using the Fluke meter with the 511-9773 peak reading adapter, or CD-77 and 511-9770 piercing probes, measure DVA voltage of the stator between the output wire sets. With everything connected, readings should be approximately 180 volts or more. Resistance readings between the stator wire sets is from 680-800 ohms (CDI will read 300-400 ohms). 3. Disconnect the rectifier and retest. If the engine fires, replace the rectifier. NO FIRE OR INTERMITTENT ON ONE CYLINDER: 1. Check stator and trigger resistance, trigger wire sets read approximately 50 ohms between the wire sets (DVA 5V or more), stator reads 680-800 ohms (DVA 180V or more) from blue to yellow. 2. Disconnect kill wire from one pack. If the dead cylinder starts firing, the problem is likely the blocking diode in the other pack. NO FIRE ON TWO CYLINDERS: If two cylinders from the same CD unit will not fire, the problem is usually in the stator. Test per above. ENGINE WILL NOT KILL: Check kill circuit in the pack by using a jumper wire connected to the kill wire coming out of the pack and shorting it to ground. If this kills the pack, the kill circuit in the harness or on the boat is bad, possibly the ignition switch. COILS ONLY FIRE WITH THE SPARK PLUGS OUT: Check for dragging starter or low battery causing slow cranking speed. DVA test stator and trigger. HIGH SPEED MISS: 1. Using the Fluke meter with the 511-9773 peak reading adapter, (or CD-77) and 511-9770 piercing probes, DVA check stator voltage to each pack at high speed. If it exceeds 400 volts, replace the pack. 2. Disconnect the rectifier and retest. If the miss is gone replace the rectifier. 2 & 3 Cylinder Connections: Color Code Cross Reference Color Code Cross Reference FUNCTION OLD NEW FUNCTION OLD NEW Trigger Orange White/Orange Stripe Stator Blue Brown/Blue Stripe Trigger Green White/Yellow Stripe Stator Yellow Brown/Yellow Stripe Trigger Red White/Red Stripe Ignition Coil White Orange/Blue Trigger White/Green Stripe White/Green Stripe Stop (Kill) Circuit White (Brown) Black/Yellow Pack #1 (Firing #1 and #2 cylinders) Pack #2 (Firing #3 cylinder) Trigger: Orange (White/Orange) Pack: White/Orange Stripe Trigger: Orange (White/Orange) Pack: White/Orange Stripe Green (White/Yellow Stripe) White/Yellow Stripe Green (White/Yellow Stripe) White/Yellow Stripe Red (White/Red) White/Red stripe No Connection White/Red Stripe White/Green Stripe White/Green Stripe No Connection White/Green Stripe Stator: Yellow (Brown/Yellow Stripe) Pack: Brown/Yellow Stripe Stator: Yellow (Brown/Yellow Stripe) Pack: Brown/Yellow Stripe Blue (Brown/Blue Stripe) Pack: Brown/Blue Stripe Blue (must be connected to the Brown/Blue stripe on pack 1) Coil #1: White (Orange/Blue Stripe) Pack: Orange/Blue Stripe Coil #3: White (Orange/Blue Stripe) Pack: Orange/Blue Stripe Coil #2: White (Orange/Blue Stripe) Pack: Blue/Red stripe 4 Cylinder Connections: Pack #1 (Firing #1 and #2 cylinders) Pack #2 (Firing #3 and #4 cylinders) Trigger: Orange (White/Orange) Pack: White/Orange Stripe Trigger: Orange (White/Orange) Pack: White/Orange Stripe Green (White/Yellow Stripe) White/Yellow Stripe Green (White/Yellow Stripe) White/Yellow Stripe Red (White/Red) White/Red stripe Red (White/Red) White/Red Stripe White/Green Stripe White/Green Stripe White/Green Stripe White/Green Stripe Stator: Yellow (Brown/Yellow Stripe) Pack: Brown/Yellow Stripe Stator: Yellow (Brown/Yellow Stripe) Pack: Brown/Yellow Stripe Blue (Brown/Blue Stripe) Pack: Brown/Blue Stripe Blue (Brown/Blue Stripe) Pack: Brown/Blue Stripe Coil #1: White (Orange/Blue Stripe) Pack: Orange/Blue Stripe Coil #3: White (Orange/Blue Stripe) Pack: Orange/Blue Stripe Coil #2: White (Orange/Blue Stripe) Pack: Blue/Red stripe Coil #4: White (Orange/Blue Stripe) Pack: Blue/Red stripe NOTICE: The color codes listed above may appear on the packs, stators or triggers. S

Ok the secret to the tech support at CDI is to just ignore the charge on the website and call in. Both my switchboxes are CDI units, so they were able to walk me through the test procedure, which was to test output DVA on stator and trigger (both new, and both within spec), then output test the switchboxes. They were outputting nothing.

I hacksawed the end off of one, and lo and behold, it was burnt epoxy everywhere. I cleaned and resoldered everything, but there must be a burnt component because it still doesn't work.20230801_132935 (1) (1).jpg

New packs about 80$

Standard Magneto Sales Company, Inc.
212 Ash Ave., Wood Dale, Illinois 60191
Phone 1-800-MAGNETO
(1-800-624-6386)
Fax 1-630-227-4909

Thank you Jerry, and I just noticed that for some reason your profile pic boat is the exact same color scheme as mine.

I am very worried about what could have caused this. I am looking at the parts to buy; they are like $386 each across the web, and even Jerry's $80 packs would be a waste without finding the root cause.

I have checked for voltage on the white wire leading to the terminal block while wiggling the everloving crap out of the key with no voltage showing on the wire.

Are there other tests I should conduct to be absolutely sure before pulling the trigger?

I might have an old one or two.
I'll give them to you for a donation to an animal shelter.
Don't get your hopes up, not sure I still have them.
I have to look in the cave(my shed) and see if they are there?
MAYBE???

Billy, I have a couple of the Black packs(newer) the ends or connectors will not fit your coils.
Luckily I have 5 black coils.
You'll still have to rewire some connections.
Send me a PM with address and email.
When I get that, I'll pack the stuff and ship it.
Think about the animal shelter?? Jerry

Back