Logo

1985 50HP Thermostat O-ring placement

Progator135

Regular Contributor
18-3672_big.jpg
Checked mine the other day and no o-ring at all...ordered one and this is the only pic of one I could find....is that really the right way?? looks weird to me.

That is crazy. There is a groove inside the seal. The flange on the thermostat fits into the groove. The "skirt" on the seal goes down----toward the long end of the thermostat.

Dang it...I saw that ridge...I was pretty sure that's how it went till I saw that pix. I'll get it swapped out tomorrow. Could that be why its getting hot at idle? Peeing strong... Cold water...run above idle and wot all day long.... But 5 minutes of say 1500 rpms or less and top cylinder gets hot and buzzer sounds.

Actually......I installed it just backwards of what the picture shows...After some deliberation and an overly confident conversation with myself..., I figured the skirt went down the long side and sealed in the hole of the head..it just seemed "righter" than what that picture showed.. I actually had it on the thermostat the right way at one time while trynig to figure it out...I second guessed myself and changed it...stupid.

But yes..that will be step one for sure.

Last edited:
Back