Logo

1985 50 HP Johnson VRO disconnect

pader

"I'm looking at Joereeves

"I'm looking at Joereeves answer on a 1989 70 HP Johnson with a VRO problem. It says to cut and plug the oil line,then trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug and disconnect. My VRO does not have any wires coming from it. I have unpluged the oil line from the VRO and capped the VRO fitting. Removed the oil tank and wiring from the boat. There are 2 tan wires coming from the head area, one is for the overheat signal, what is the other one for? Will my fuel pump work as I have discribed it?"

"Paul.... If that VRO has no w

"Paul.... If that VRO has no wires leading from it, it is either a original VRO or a updated VRO which in reality would be a fuel pump only.

In either case, if you have the engine rigged in the manner I described previously, the present VRO pump will act as a standard furl pump.

The two wires leading from the heat sensor.... If the other wire leads to the ignition components, that would be the ground circuitry which would engage the S.L.O.W. feature should the engine overheat. However, unless I am in error, that wire should be a white wire with a black stripe.

Where does that other wire lead to?

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"This VRO is the original. Th

"This VRO is the original. The two tan wires come out of the wire bundle by the head. Both with the same locking clip. I'm looking at the wiring diagrams in the Selock Johnson/Evinrude outboard manual vol. 11, 1971-1989 1 and 2 cyl tune-up and repair manual and in the 1982-85 50hp wire ident dia it only shows 1 tan wire and it comes from the temp sw assy and goes straight to the hot horn. The page for 1986 shows a tan aditional tan wire coming from the low oil sw. Could this be coming from the oil tank?"

Any lead coming from a heat se

Any lead coming from a heat sensor has nothing to do with the oil tank.

Are you absolutely sure that both wires are TAN?

Back