Logo

1985 454 volvo penta

Jim Henley

Engine stopped, no electrical power. Noticed electric fuel pump was not running and touched a wire contected to it. The pump started running. Also noticed that the two wires going to the electric choke were fried at the contact points, double spade connection. Cleaned up the fryed wire ends and put new connections on. Started the engine, good job. But know when turn the key to off and even remove it the engine keeps running. I have to shut off the fuel to get it to stop and even then the fuel pump is still perating as are othe things like the lights on the power trim control.

My guess is that the resistor that is supposed to be in the alternator excitor line has been either removed or is shorted, so the alternator is backfeeding the coil when you are trying to turn the engine off from the ignition switch. Another possibility is that you may have mixed up wires at the ignition switch. Try disconnecting (for test pursposes) the red wire going to the D+ prong in the alternator, then start the engine and once it has started try to stop it with the ignition key switch. If the engine now stops and starts normally, then the resistor in the excitor line (the one going to D+) needs to be renewed.

I'm betting on El's answer!!! Have seen this many a time.
Yes, I have also.

And BTW, what Volvo Penta calls a "resistor", I've found to actually be a diode unit.
In fact, this little unit can be replaced with a diode of the correct capacity. I know that I've done this over the years.

One permanent solution, would be to replace that alternator with a Marine version Delco 10si, in what they call the "1 wire".

Back