Logo

1985 2stroke mercury 25 hp xd out board cranks but won’t turn over

Joeybattle

My 1985 Mercury 25hp xd outboard crank but won’t turn over. I have changed both spark plugs. Changed the fuel filter. Checked the battery and made sure it has clean connection and is fully charged. I even hooked up a battery pack to it and it didn’t turn over. Sprayed gum out in the carburetor. Made sure my gas tank is full and I’m running at a 16:1 ratio. Which I cannot remember what ratio is needed for my engine. I feel like I’ve tried everything I can do at home. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

How did it run for you last season ?-----Do you have spark that jumps a gap of 3/8" ?----Should start with 16:1 but mix your next tank with 50:1

How did it run for you last season ?-----Do you have spark that jumps a gap of 3/8" ?----Should start with 16:1 but mix your next tank with 50:1

It worked fine last season. But towards the end of the year, the motor sounded like it was heaving a bit, but I could have just been low on fuel in the tank. I'll do a spark plug test in a while and update. however, I did have the ignition coils changed two years ago, so they are fairly new. I would imagine I would still have a good spark

Well----Imagining does not work.----You need to test stuff.-----This should not be hard to figure out.----These motors need a new water pump impeller every 4 / 5 years as well.

Back