Logo

1985 25 hp Johnson no spark

sjtater

I have replaced a whole list of parts. Still no spark. I have check the ignition wiring. It all looks good. The in-line fuse is good.

Replaced:
Power pack
Stator
Coil & lamination
Sensor assembly
2 New ignition coils with new wires
New ignition switch
New plugs
New kill switch

Need help badly.

All those parts are considered very reliable.------No idea why anyone would change out all these parts.--------------What ohm readings do you get on charge coil and the sensor coil.------Are there 2 " m " terminals on the ignition switch ?-----Have yopu inspected pins in the rubber plug in connectors ?

Yes the parts are reliable. But I had smoke coming from under the flywheel a few weeks ago. And it smelled like electrical. The motor did seem to get hotter than usual. I do not own an ohm meter. So changing parts as I go. The problem seemed to be from a broken hot wire in the ignition. But anyways...with all those new parts. Why would I not get spark? Yes 2 M's.

Have you looked at the wiring harness from control box to the motor.----------Remove some covering and have a look to see if wires are melted inside.

kimcrwbr1. The diagram you sent is one of the same I've been working off of. The dbl M connector is for my kill switch. I have been quite careful to not cross, or just try something that would do more damage. I know things can get technical. I don't need a spark gap checker on this motor. There plugs have no gap. There is no spark to check. Everything is wired right. Checked not once, but twice, and three times. I am thinking the 2 M terminals. I'm sure it possibly has something to do with my kill switch. But how can these be bypassed? And yes expensive is correct.

racerone. No I haven't pulled back any casings. That is one of my next moves.

You say " there plugs have no gap.There is no spark to check "----------This means that you do not understand the concept of testing your ignition system and how it all works.----Sorry.

The screw driver has been done. No spark. As for testing the ignition system. No. But these plugs do not gap. There is nothing to gap. Solid round bottom.

Motor is repaired, and runs great. A ground wire was found that was not making contact. I could have never found it. My friend was able to locate it with a simple tester. Thanks for all the help.

Back