Logo

1984 V4 crossflow 90 versus 140

maxmachz

I have been doing some research on these crossflow V4's, and all the info I find shows very little difference in the 90 and 140 hp versions; same displacement, same ignition box / power pack, same gear ratio, same exhaust chamber. Only thing I have found so far is carburetion change, only the orifice jets and plugs are different? There must be something else besides this to increase the power....anyone have any info on this? Peak horsepower rpm is the same as well.

Like to give my boat a little upgrade, pull a little more pitch :D

20190801_195509.jpg

The intake ports on the 90 HP block are smaller than those on the 115 and140 HP block.-----Carburetor bores are bigger on the 140 HP.------Bubble exhaust and filler blocks on the 140 ( crank rated ) and 115 ( prop rated ) ---Machining required on the 90 block to fit exhaust bits.-------More to it than changing decals on the cowling !!------What " research " did you do ?

Last edited:
I used this site and put both engine parts listings up next to each other, and began comparing the components; when I saw no carburetor body numbers listed, only jet / orifice changes, same needle and seat, and no ignition changes or piston size changes it made me wonder how the extra air was being fed to give the correct AFR to attain the power increase, and simply asked the question to avoid having to go through the whole engine piece by piece.

I'm quite engine fluent sir, just asked for a little assistance to save some time, hoping a knowledgeable person here could assist without being an ass.

At least I got one part of it, thank you for your help but not your snotty attitude.

Had no intentions to change the decals anyway, max rated on my GT150 is 90, I've already been checked by the water Po-Po at a safety check with the accusation it's already overpowered.

Have a nice day, try to be a little nicer, it really helps.

You were making assumptions that they are all the same.----I stated the facts.-----Say for a 1983 model 140 HP you look at the carburetor parts.-----You go to the bottom of the list and see different part numbers for the carburetor assembly.-----They do have different exhaust configuration.----You not happy that you were wrong !-----Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
And for the 1983 V-4 there is a different part number for each version of the block.----90 HP , 115 HP and 140 HP have a different part #

The block is different as the ports in sleeves are larger on exhaust and intake. For example the exhaust ports on a 90 are about the size of your pinke finger and a 140 your middle finger. Also as noted it has the bubble exhaust. The flat back exhaust block put out 88-93hp at prop and to pep it would require a lot of mods, which in long run it would be cheaper to find a 140 running powerhead and swap them out.

When I went to school , if you were wrong the teacher told you so.----And sometimes deducted marks.-----We learned that way long ago.-----Today folks get upset / offended when things don't go the way they expected.

The block is different as the ports in sleeves are larger on exhaust and intake. For example the exhaust ports on a 90 are about the size of your pinke finger and a 140 your middle finger. Also as noted it has the bubble exhaust. The flat back exhaust block put out 88-93hp at prop and to pep it would require a lot of mods, which in long run it would be cheaper to find a 140 running powerhead and swap them out.

Much appreciated. Was already looking in that direction, did not think it would hurt to ask about the differences first, rebuilding and tuning engines of all kinds is my hobby so it's not a skill or knowledge block I have, but dollars and cents sure do make a difference!

The original post was asking...
"There must be something else besides this to increase the power....anyone have any info on this?"

This sort of reply is not in any way helpful.
"More to it than changing decals on the cowling !!------What " research " did you do ?"

I posted the correct information.----The " research " the OP did was flawed.-----The correct information in post #2 was not appreciated.

Back