Logo

1984 Mercury 50HP Walbro Fuel Pump/Carb

mill686

Regular Contributor
15[1].gifWhen replacing the gaskets/diaphragms, there are two that are similar in appearance/cut-outs, but one is felt and the other is silicon/rubber (#'s23 in the diagram). Does it matter which one goes where? Thanks. Greg.

5986_10201298763060179_39067239_n[1].jpgUhh...not sure. So which one fits against #24, the black or gold? :) My guess is black, and the gold goes in the middle of the three. Hey, I got a 50/50 chance.

Last edited:
The black part goes against the metal--it's the seal. The gold part goes behind it--it's the spring. Got it?

Jeff

Now. :) I installed them like that originally, but found 1 carb was leaking from that area. I thought I may have installed them incorrectly. Must just have a bad seal because of one thing or another.

Last edited:
Hey guys, first post here but his is the motor i am having trouble with. Here is what is happening:
* motor will only start and run with full trottle in neutral, and run until the primed hose run out of fuel then dies. I can pressurize the bulb again, start the motor and same thing. Do you think the fuel line has a leak or that something is sucking air?

Not finding any leaks, but looks like (via parts diagram) there is a gasket kit for the tank. Does anyone know if the connector for fuel line at the motor has an o-ring that may be wore? Seems to have some play there. The carbs have been rebuilt, by my uncle...which means good chance of not properly put together....but the motor was doing the same thing before the rebuild.

Anyone have any tips for locating leaks? Should I empty the tank and pressure the system, then use soap and water?

Thanks for the help, just a poor boy here trying to get back out and catch a few fish with the kiddos.

Last edited:
Bypass the fuel lines connector by using a double ended nipple and clamps. Doing this will eliminate the connector. If it still acts up loosen the fuel cap to see if the vent is clogged. Did you check the antisiphon valve and siphon tube in the tank for blockage?

Replaced gaskets as stated above, and now she only runs if I keep priming the bulb. Bulb primes until stiff. Engine fires right up and runs great until all that was in the carb is gone. Could I have gotten a kit with a bad diaphragm? Never had an issue before replacing these fuel pump gaskets. I never even opened the carb portion. Any thoughts? Also, anyone know what size hose is recommended for this outboard?

Dumby me. This **** was driving me nuts. I know I replaced everything correctly in the carbs and fuel pumps, but was still getting no results. Then, I was reading an old manual that mentioned the flange gasket and how its holes had to be aligned with the crankcase vacuum ports. I went outside around midnight (when I read this), and looked at the flange gasket. Yeah...I didn't install it correctly, just slapped it on. Back on the water. Keep it in mind. Without this access, the fuel pumps can't do their job.

Back