Logo

1984 mercury 2 stroke, shift shaft installation trouble

Adamoconnor98

I have an older Mercury that the forward gear stripped out and after I replaced everything and put it back together I realized I couldn’t get it in any other gear than forward. It’s like the shifter can rotate 200 degrees then hits the back of the forward gear. I can see three steps In the **** mechanism in the lower unit and I am guessing it is the forward neutral and reverse spots where the pin in the propeller shaft moves the clutch. But it can only get to forward by the time it hits the back of the gear. I have pictures of taking it apart and I have it in the same spot. I didn’t know what I was doing wrong and was hoping you guys would know where I went wrong. I currently have it back of to look and try and understand it. I appreciate any input thank you

306ad909-d17e-454c-ac96-4a82851769d9

What motor ?----And when the shift rod turns ---Counterclockwise----The cam should push the clutch dog towards the reverse gear.----On most motors depending on your model serial #

its a 1984 75 hp 2 stroke mercury, its like it his hitting the back of the forward gear, when i have it pushed as far counter clockwise as i can the needle on the clutch dog is just then pushing on the first indent on the cam. i am trying to load a picture.

resizew.JPGits a 1984 75 hp 2 stroke mercury, its like it his hitting the back of the forward gear, when i have it pushed as far counter clockwise as i can the needle on the clutch dog is just then pushing on the first indent on the cam. i am trying to load a picture.

Back