Logo

1984 Mercury 150 (Got a few questions)

Rjcamel2355

Contributing Member
Hey guys, over the weekend I ran across a 17' skeeter starfire 150 with a 150 blackmax.

Oil injection has been bypassed, judging by the anaerobic sealant the motor has been into at one point. Have to do a carb job on it, new needles and carb kits. (Tried just cleaning them), but the top carb is just spraying gas out the front (float issue I'm pretty sure) while the others aren't getting any fuel.

The boat isn't bad for it's age, attached a couple pictures of the boat and motor. (Few soft spots around the drains, and one up on the deck)... but this isn't my first rodeo replacing floors and decks.

Best of all, I got a complete 150hp Parts engine, the boat and the motor (all the gauges, lights and other accessories work) for right at $1500

First question: What is the usual compression for these motors? (From the factory) I know I know.. withing 5#'s is good, but I'd like to know the stock compression.

Second question: The tilt and trim just clicks, I pulled the motor off of it, and it's full of black stuff, but the issue is one of the straps that goes to the spring/magnet thing broke loose (is this fixable?) if not where could I pick one up reasonably priced?

Third question: How are these hulls? How are these motors? I know it's the old 2.0 block (I'm pretty sure) Anything I should keep an eye on?

Fourth question: I have a 200hp lower unit, same year range I know it will bolt to it, reason I am saying this is because when I put it in gear up til I give it a little throttle it will clank/click/ some sort of noticeable noise but once it's past that point it's fine and it just rolls on

Fifth question: What prop should I be looking for? (I plan on adding a 6" jackplate), what speed would I be looking at? (I'm all about getting across the water pretty quickly)

Any hints/tips/tricks would be great. Thanks guys!!

http://imgur.com/a/Kv2uG

1) Usually new was about 130 psi..anything under 115psi is weak.
2) Sounds like brushes are bad..if prestolite try ebay
3) Quick little hull and good ride, Its a good motor if not worn out and remove idle stabilizer if not already.
4) Don't want to use the 200 unit as gear ratio different and it will be slower out of hole.Check the shift cable as sound like it has a problem (stretched/out of adjustment)
5) Will need a 23-25pitch and 4-6"jackplate and speed should be in low 60's

Awesome! I think I have located a trim motor.
Putting a water pump in this afternoon.
The top carb is gushing gas out, the other two weren't getting much if any.

Do I need carb kits AND needles or is it pretty uncommon for the needles to go bad?

The boat/motor has been sitting for "a year" I would guess a little longer then that 5+ years .(owner bought it and never used it, his bill of sale from the previous owner was 2005.....

Should I run a decarb on the engine? I did a compression (with a cheap China gauge) engine cold all plugs out and it was around 110 on every cylinder. (Just walked up to it and ran it).

I was hoping it would go up a little, but rering and honing one isn't too big of a deal.... if I have to go that route.

I'll check out the cable, they look to be in good shape but it may be stretched wore or out of adjustment.

Idle stabilizer? Not sure what or where that is...

Do gasket kits and needles as ethanol swells rubber tips and sometime they will get a ring around tip and wont seal.A decarb wont hurt and replace all rubber hose from fuel tank all the way to carbs.

Replaced the needles today .All fuel hose from the tank to the carbs is new. Installed a fuel filter. Replaced the impeller and fired it up. Idled on the hose with a 4-5' long stream of water shooting out the pee hole for about 10 minutes never got warm. Crisp clean idle no rattles or shakes.

Shift cable is out of adjustment. Doesn't kick into gear until 1/3 throttle on the handle. Also after giving it some throttle the lever that is bolted to the block seems to "stick" and it stays revved up quite a bit. Gonna have to investigate that tomorrow .Is that the idle stabilizer?

Decarb, hotfoot, and new oildyne trim motor is on the agenda tomorrow.

Got it on the lake this afternoon, idled perfect put it into gear and took off. Jumped up on a plane good ran 5300-5500ish on the tach.

Got about 150-200 yards and it sounded like it ran out of fuel. Pumped the bulb (it was a little soft) put it in throttle only got it started back up. Ran another 150-200 yards and the same symptoms.

I'm sure it's carb related. Runs like a bat out of hell when it first gets going. Tried to get it to clean up idling around and giving it throttle here and there but couldn't get it straightened out.

Fuel pump? Carbs? Float adjustment?

I'm up for any suggestions. Turned the engine over with the line to the carbs disconnected and it threw plenty of fuel (to me) in a bottle I was using to catch it.

Also, got a new trim motor bolted on .Hit the switches and they all click up or down (solenoids on the side of the trim system. If I jump a hot to either side it works perfectly. Likelihood that both solenoids are bad at the same time?

Ran the boat today:

Found a hole in my fuel pump diaphragm and swapped it with a used pump diaphragm I had laying around. Boat ran great for 5-10 minutes then it shut down. Pumped the bulb and away it went again. Tried bolting an electric pump to it and I get 10-15mins of wot before it runs out and shuts down on me again.

New hoses from the tank to every inlet on the motor, good tank and vent, carbs aren't leaking and all seem to be spraying equal amounts of fuel.

Going to a local shop tomorrow and getting a pump rebuild kit. Installing it then off to the lake.

56mph GPS with a 4' tall 20-30' rooster tail. No Jackplate yet.

Twisting a 13 3/4 x 22p 4 blade prop. I know it is too small but it's all I had to test with. 6300rpms.

Got a free set of performance reeds today. However I think I will be bolting my 200HP to this hull as soon as I locate a Jackplate.

Back