Logo

1984 Johnson J115TLCRD Oil Sending Unit Wiring

Tmatt

When i originally purchased this motor the previous owner had done a VRO delete and the motor wasnt running. Since i dont have too much experience working on marine engines i decided to bring the motor back to factory with a new VRO pump and an external oil reservoir. Im pretty sure i got the VRO wired into the engine correctly, seeing as how the previous owner had taken out all of the conectors for it and the oil sending unit. But because of the i have no idea where to 1) wire in the unit, and 2) where to purchase a plug for the sending unit to plug into. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The 1984 models did not come with a warning module on the VRO pump.-----So wiring will need to be modified.-----I am not going to give advice on wiring.-----Best to see your friendly dealer.-----Or find a wiring diagram for say a 1988 model and make the changes based on that.

Will the pump still pull oil from the reservoir without it being plugged in? from what i can tell its just for a low oil warning. its just a two wire plug coming from the reservoir

The pump works off the PRESSURE pulses from the crankcase.----It is not driven by 12 volts at all.-----The wires are for a " no oil " warning from the pump.-----And a low oil level in the oil tank.-----The pump will work fine with no wires attached.-----Up to you to make sure the air is purged out and that the oil is being injected.----A service manual has the procedure to follow.-----Or mix at 50:1 in your tank untill you confirm that correct amount is being injected.-----Your motor might smoke a bit more during this test , but you won't ruin it.-----Perhaps post the compression values on this 38 year old motor.----Also good to know for future reference.

Back