Logo

1984 johnson 150/rings replacement

chuckee53

Hi guys Im going to put new rings in my J150 cylinders look good but compression is only 80psi so I guess it cant hurt.My question is can i get to connecting rod nuts by removing the carb intake plate or do I need to split the cylinder case. Just wondering what im up against before I get started Any other tips would help thanks. Chuck

Are there " running issues " with the motor ??------------ Has your gauge been checked against another gauge ??------------Might be worth investing in a " dynamometer check " to see if the motor is actually down on power.

motor starts right up .revs up good it just has a miss to it redid the carbs has new plugs new wires and the plugs all look pretty oily .Dont really know what 2 stroke plugs should look like for norma wear but I read that was 1 symptom of too low compression and yes I tried a different guage for compression check. Open to suggestions

Thermostats in place and working properly ?-----I hope you are running at 50:1 and not relying on the original VRO unit for lubricating oil !

thanks again for your help guys yes thermastats in place and previous owner said he just spent $500 on new VRO it looks new to me. I certainly willing to try 50/1 premix.Do you think thats worth a shot even with a new VRO? No one here is saying anything about my low compression local mechanic here told me to junk the motor with only 80 psi .Do you guys disagree specs are 79 to 81 You guys sound very knoledgeable dont know if I trust this vegas local yolckle yhanks again guys.

Test run it on a dynomometer to see what condition the motor is in.-------------With facts you can make decisions , guessing just does not work !

OK one more question called another local shop and was told my ignition module might be bad causing the miss. Looking in your parts catalog I see no such part Does he mean power pack or is there another name for the module.

It is called a power pack------------But you need to test stuff before spending a penny.----------------Put a timing light on each cylinder and observe the flashing, an ignition miss is indicated by intermittent flashing ( black spots on the lens )---------Also doing the rings on a motor that old may be a waste of time.Pistons and cylinders are likely badly worn as well.---------Might be better off finding another motor at a shop that comes with warranty !--------You can inspect pistons and rings by removing the six small covers on the side of the motor ( six small bolts on each ) and will cost you pennies for new gaskets.

Might be worth it to try de-carboning the engine. 80 psi is too high to have major damage to anything, but still lower than is acceptable for proper operation. a half can of BRP engine tuner might save you the trouble of a rebuild. The new VRO should be fine if the alarming is hooked up. There is (was) a harness availible to add the alarms to the 1984-5 models.

Back