Logo

1984 Evinrude XP150 Lean Sneeze!

rcb0325

I have a 1984 XP150 that lean sneezing horribly. no matter the rpm. It sneezes out of the crankcase nipple (vacuum line?), and can even shoot a spark out of it when you increase the rpms.
However, if I hold my finger over the air bleed jet on, what i believe, is cylinder #4, the sneeze stops completely. Sounds like the carbs would be dirty, but they have been rebuilt, and all passages seem clear. What could be causing this? And what is the crankcase nipple for that it is sneezing from? It looks like it would go to the VRO, but it doesn't.

Here is a picture of the sneezing carb, with an arrow pointing to the jet i can cover with my finger to smooth it out. IMG_0631.JPG

This is the nipple that the sneeze is coming from on the crankcase. it isnt sneezing out of the carb either. I just placed a hose on the nipple to direct it away from the back of the VRO. Compression is good on all cylinders. I have sprayed some brake cleaner around the carb, and hear it smooth out. spray it into the carb, it smooths out. So I know it is too lean, just cant figure out why!!!
IMG_0625.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Is the serial # on the block the same as the midsection ?------The hose that goes nowhere appears to be on an older block that used 2 pumps.----Remove that hose and fitting and install a plug.----Test run.

Didn’t think of that…looked for the numbers before I left the house and couldn’t find them. If they match, is it possible that the VRO pump was replaced with an updated one? And can I just cap off the hose to plug it, or do I need to actually remove the nipple?

Also, I replaced the ignition switch, and it worked great. Not it won’t start the engine, and I have to start it by a remote button, and use the key switch to turn the engine on, start it with the button, and then shut it off by turning the switch off. Did the switch go bad? A loose ground?

Thanks for your help on this!

Post the actual compression values on this motor.----Install a new impeller if you just bought this motor.----Test operation of VRO before trusting it !!

Back