Logo

1984 Evinrude VRO 90 HP normal Cylinder T

Troyzee

Hi,

just ran my engine with muffs for 7 minutes the starboard side got up to 120 F and the port side got up to 100F at idle. Is that normal? The tell tale was flowing and the water was gtting warmer as the engine warmd up, water was also draining through the front(boatside)block just above the water pump its like an attqchment connecting block housing with 4 bolts another fellow mentioned it was ok as there are quite a few overflow drain ports but wanted another opinion.

I also noticed a milky white flow of oil/water mix with the exhaust coming from the inside if the prop housing I assume it maybe a gear oil seal/ oring leak is it much work to replace this oring/ gasket? It doesn't look like a lot of gear oil loss but I will have to see what itakes to top it up.

Thanks for the help!

Zedde

No I would think it is not OK. The port side thermo is probably stuck open.
There are two thermostats in the thermo block, along with poppet valves, which simply lift off the seat when water pressure rises due to faster engine speed.
Poppet on that side could be stuck open too.

Thermostat replacements on those crossflows are a challenge. No room to work. Good luck.

Thanks for the info another source mentioned it may not be the best on muffs to run on the lake. I will tske my IR gun with me and will run it down the lake. What is the normal operating temp for this engine? I heard 140 F the thermostats open up but would like that confirmed.

Thanks

Yes, odd results can occur when on muffs. Sometimes air gets into the water flow, and causes an air pocket at weird places.

The correct operating temp is 140. At WOT the temps will go down, due to the poppets being forced open.

Great thanks. I checked my lower unit gear oil and never fond a drastic drop in fluid nor any creamy fluid escaping out the top vent port nor the bottom add port, both bled out nice green gear oil. Is there anything I should watch for that determines a bad seal in the lower unit? When i replced the fluid last season there was no evidence of water in the gear oil. I generally only use this engine for 10-15 hrs as I use it to get too and from my fishing spots.

Back