Logo

1984 Evinrude Link and Sync issues

shimanok2

Hello All,

Model # E25RLCRD. I purchased this motor for cheap last year and have so far replaced all the fuel lines, rebuilt the fuel pump and carb, replaced the thermostat, cleaned inside the hood/cowlings and rebuild the lower unit with all new seals, water pump and a new-to-me prop shaft. It starts first pull typically and idles fine, does seem to throttle up fine too, as much as can happen in a bucket. I've been looking through the Selec manual and reading through the forums on the link and sync procedure and do believe that mine needs adjustment. Currently the roller lies between the 2 marks on the plate but according to the Selec manual the Primary pickup location (B) is "starboard side of mark". Well this implies only 1 mark and mine has 2. Additionally every video or thread I've seen of similar years (also listed B as the pick up location in the manual) are on the port side of the 2 marks or centered between them. Reference Low Idle photo. For the 30 and 35 hp models (same powerhead I believe) it does reference the pickup being between the 2 marks.

Second, it seems the carb is opening too much (See Full Throttle Carb). I take it this is just the carb linkage adjustment but how far off of the plate should the roller sit at idle? Or should it always be touching? The only way I can get it to not do this is have the roller almost 1/4" off the throttle cam and this doesn't seem right.

Lastly, There is some play in the plate causing the roller to not always line up between the 2 marks. I've traced it down to the throttle gear being loose (Reference Throttle Gear photo). I don't see a way of tightening this other than some shim stock. Or is a new plastic pin required? Also wondering if the plastic bushing it sits in has just disintegrated causing the slop. Can any one confirm if this gear can be removed without removing the lower cover? Seems like I should be able to remove the vertical throttle post and slide the gear out, not positive though.

Thanks for any and all input!

Low Idle.jpgFull Throttle Carb.jpgThrottle Gear.jpg

Back