Logo

1984 90 HP Evinrude E90TLCRD

Troyzee

Replacing lower end gear oil and have just realized that I may be using the wrong gear oil. I had asked at the local boat dealer what to use and they recommended Quick Silver high performance gear oil. I used it last year and ran the engine 5 hours and about 1 hour the previous year and 3 hours this year and never noticed anything wrong. I went to buy it again to change for the winter and realized it says not to use on OMC electric shift. It is a VRO but I mix the gas 50 to 1. Last year I noticed a few filings in the oil and some water, this year there was no filings and it was hard to see if any water came out.

I am now concerned as I am not sure if this engine is electric shift but think it actually is, can someone let me know what I have and what gear oil to use as all I found was Quick Silver premium gear oil. Is there a chance that I damaged the gears or seals?

In the previous years I left the gear case empty over the winter because I was concerned not all the water was drained and could crack the leg. I have been told to fill it with new gear oil for the winter.

Thanks
Troy

The last electric shift outboard was marketed in 1972 !!!----Not sure where the idea that your 84 model is electric shift came from.----------------Never leave a gearcase empty over the winter !!!------If it is a VRO equipped motor than it simply can NOT BE ELECTRIC SHIFT !!

Last edited:
Ok thanks, so what type of gear oil do tou recommend? I had the high performance in and now drained but have the premium. Should I stay with the high performance if I can find it or can I flush some premium through and fill it up! QuickSilver says not to mix the two but if I flush it through maybe I'm alright, already opened the premium which says its meant for outboards high performance is for mercruiser and stern drives and improves outboards.

Thanks for the feedback,glad to hear I never damaged it it must just have electric solenoids

Troy

Where do you get the idea about these " electric solenoids " -------You seem confused by it all.-------------Then again maybe your motor has an older control box that says " powershift II " , but even that was not ELECTRIC SHIFT !!!!----------------The high performance Mercury oil will work just fine !!

Maybe its a hydroshift, ok I'll take the quick Silver premium back and look for the high performance and fill it right up hey? Can I use it on my 4.5hp Evinrude as well? Seen a post about the warning horn built into the controls will my have one? Can I test it? My controls is just an OMC has nothing else on it. Have to turn the key to operate the tilt,my old 83 90 hp didnt have to turn the key this one is a pain, got to shut engine off then turn key switch to bring leg up.

All you are doing is guessing about how your motor shifts !!!!-----------------The hydro-electric shift was only used on V-4 motors in the early and mid seventies. and not on the motors from the 80's and it is that simple.-------Not sure where you live in Canada , but you need to find a shop that will give you proper information.------Also you have the opportunity to learn the facts about your motor right here.

Just to clarify ----Electric shift ( electra-matic ) came out in 1962 and was used till 1968.------------Hydro-electric-shift was used from 1968 to 1972.----A system called " powershift II " was used from 73 to 77 or so and it was NOT electric shift , but hydraulic assisted shift.-------Your 84 motor is simply a mechanical shift !!

Thanks, no I don't get a buzzer when i turn the key. Our 83 never had a buzzer as we had it from new. I assume it is in the control lever hey?

Thanks

Thanks, wanted to know what type of shift this engine has the manual did talk about hydroshift and mechnical shift. Mechanical shift it is.....thanks

The engine says it is a VRO but never found a tank for the oil. The boat has a built in fuel tank. The guy that i bought it from said to mix the fuel and oil 50 to 1 and never mentioned about the VRO. Would you say the VRO is disabled since we are running mixed fuel in the tank. Should the buzzer sound when younturn it over or does it depend on the engine you have?

Thanks kimcrwBr1

Obviously on your motor the VRO is only used as a " mixed fuel pump "-------------or it has been adapted to use the 1983 model fuel pump.----------------Newer control boxes give a momentary beep when key is first turned to " on " as a check of the horn.---Most OMC control boxes have had warning buzzers on the big motors since about 1972.------Most folks have never tested those buzzers and they simply are not aware of them.---You need to test your horn.-----You should get a factory service manual as the manual you have covers too many models and these aftermarket manuals are know to have mistakes. Get an owners manual too.-------Find a good dealer that will work with you and is reliable as well. Where in Canada are you ??

Calgary, Alberta there is Boat Mart in Red Deer Alberta, Bow Ridge Sports in Cochrane,Alberta and B&L Marine in Calgary. So the warning buzzer will only come on if there is a problem

Warning buzzer on your control box ( if original 1984 equipment ) will only come on if there is overheat.---------------You need to test the horn to make sure the horn works.-----If you do not know the age or condition of the water pump impeller , than you must install a new one.------------Failure to maintain the cooling system is one of the big mistakes outboard owners make.

Back