Logo

1984 70hp Johnson trim/tilt help

Chuckmorris

Hey everyone! I’m trying to diagnose my trim tilt.. it stopped working so figured it was the tilt motor.. took it off and rebuilt motor and all the seals.. tested on a battery and works great.. hooked back up to the motor and nothing.. relays are clicking and I got 12.5 v coming from the plug in both up and down.. I’m stumped.. I did take the trim sending unit off because the guage wasn’t even hooked up and broken.. does this need to be installed for it to work? Can it be bypassed? Any help is greatly appreciated.. thank you - sean

The trim gauge gas nothing to do with the trim motor operation.-----What happens when you put 12 volts to the 2 wires going to the trim motor.

Sometimes volts and wires are difficult to trouble shoot and explain.-----From what you indicate there is an issue with wires between the trim motor and the relays.-----Broken / corroded wires that show voltage but can not carry current.

With the trim/tilt motor installed and wired direct to a battery will the the motor tilt up and down?If not it's possible the hydraulic pump could be locked up or the motors weak when put under a load.

That’s what I’m thinking.. so frustrating haha.. looking at the diagram I think I can bypass right before the relays just to know for sure

Back