Logo

1984 140 Evinrude partial rebuild... 3 vs 4 cylinders?

jdk81

Hello, my question is that is 3 of the 4 cylinders need honed and rebuilt, would I want to rebuild the 4th cylinder while the mechanic is in there just to know I have new parts and such? He said the 4th cylinder is good, doesn't need reuiblt. He said something along the lines of if it needs done in the future we will have room to hone it. This will be the engines first rebuild.

Looking for opinions, I assume having a full rebuild would be better...

Thanks

Mechanic is a good honest guy, no issue there.

We were discussing the rebuild this evening and talking about what we wanted to do. He pulled it apart, I saw it, and 3 pistons needed replaced. The 4th cylinder is in great condition, and we discussed having that cylinder polished and new rings. Oversized pistons are being put jn the other 3 cylinders. His reasoning was because of $$, I assume. We are making the decision later on. Although the extra $80 for the piston is not breaking my bank. I think I will have everything rebored, just to have all cylinders on the same page.

I was just wondering if this was something that got done often, because everyone knows a dealer will rip you a new one on $$ anywhere they can, generally speaking. So i figured if the cylinder is good, why replace it?

But I very clearly see your side, "you rebuild an engine, not cylinders".

Thanks

Yeah...sounds like a good discussion topic....
Hey just wondering.....did he use the word "polished" when speaking of the cylinder work that needed to be done?

On the good cylinder, yes. The other 3 have grooving you can feel and need honed. I've decided to have all 4 rebuilt.

Another question, I normally run Penzoil Marine from Walmart at 50:1. Is that good oil? I figure yes...

We are not sure exactly what cooked them. Odd thing is that the motor runs well, and has ran the same for 2 summers, it is just hard starting. He was tuning it up when he found no compression in 1 cylinder and we pulled heads to find we needed rebuilt. Piston is loose, but made no knocking. Very odd, I know. We assume the carbs needed some adjusting, but could those pistons have cooked on old age? All pistons are stock in the 30yr old motor.

Also, I am newer to the outboard game, what would you consider meticulous maintenance? I am very willing and wanting to do this and keep this motor running well for YEARS to come.

Thanks

Also, maybe that piston was farthest from the load carrying side of the crank? All other internals are in good shape.

Back