Logo

1983 Merc 45hp Reeds amp head position

randall_b

I am in the middle of a rebuil

I am in the middle of a rebuild of a 83 4.5 hp merc. It was lightly stuck when I got it. Got lucky and it moved freely after an overnight soak in WD40. My question is about the reeds. I have one that was broken and have orderd a new set. I am not sure I fully understand how the work exactly and am looking for an education. My son finished the carb rebuild last night and wanted to mount it and see if he could give it a few pulls. I stoped him because I thought without to reeds you would risk a bick fire and possibly light up his newly rebuilt carb as well.

Also I have a slight interference between the bottom of the tiller arm and the transom mount.
Are there some bushings in the pivot mechanism that may have worn???
Thanks for reading....

"Randall,

Trying to start i

"Randall,

Trying to start it without the reeds in place is not a good idea at all. I doubt if it would start.

Tony"

"Randall, I would echo Tony.

"Randall, I would echo Tony. When the piston is on it's "upstroke" the vaccum created in the lower crankcase sucks the air/fuel/oil mix from the carb through the "open" reeds.

On the downstroke (with the reeds closed) it forces the mix up through the intake. So even if it would start without them in place it may not be pretty

Your second question. Yes there is a bushing (or bearing as Merc calls it in some applications). It's usually plastic. On most small outboards the tension (which allows the swivel movement) is usually set with a screw which butts against this bushing. They often end up cracked/broken etc.

I will include a diagram. (#3 in the pic)

101052.png"" alt=""

Back