Logo

1983 85 hp Force hardly taking water

newbyforce

I replaced the impeller and the motor runs well but doesn't suck much water. Gets hot quick. Haven't had it in the water yet. How much water should be coming out above the prop? Also the heat alarm doesn't seem to work. Anyone know how to test it?

Thanks much for any help.
Dan

Re: 83 85 horse Force hardly taking water

did you just switch the impeller?
you should do a complete water pump kit to replace all of the o-rings, seals and gaskets!
and are you running it on muffs or in a garbage bin or what?

I'll look into the kit. Makes sense. Running on Muffs. This may seem a dumb question but is there a pump other then the impeller?
Thanks for your time.

for the cooling system no. the impeller is runn off the driveshaft of the engine.

You might not be getting enough water to the motor.The muffs don't always supply enough or the house might not supply enough.
Remember the ocean or lake is access to MILLIONS of gallons.The hose maybe a couple hundred an hour.
The alarm:turn on key,then ground out the orange lead.It should make the buzzer sound.J

The hose has a lot of power but the water seems to be flowing out of the sides of the muffs as if the impeller isn't drawing it. I may have bent the blades of the impeller in the wrong direction when I insterted it if that's possible. I basically guessed which way it turns. i thought they would flip to the correct orientation if I had it backwards.
I'll short the orange lead and see if it buzzes.
Thanks again for your time. Seriously appreciate it.

No correct way to install the impeller.As soon as you start it orients itself.J

The correct way to install the impeller in clockwise. But put the impeller on the shaft and push the lid down while you turn the shaft.

Back