Logo

1983 80hp Mercury

B

bucktracker

" I have an '83 80hp Mercu

" I have an '83 80hp Mercury that runs good while in gear, but as soon as I put it in neutral it dies. Also, when I crank it I have to hurry up and put in in gear or it will die. Does the sound like a spark plug problem? If so, what would be the best size and kind for this motor? "

" It doesn't make any sens

" It doesn't make any sense for it to die when in neutral, but run under load. My guess is that it stays running in gear, because of something that happens to the throttle, when you put it in gear. Pull the cover off and watch what happens when you shift into foward from neutral, my guess is either the throttle is advanced a bit, when you shift into gear, or you are shifting into gear and giving it a bit of throttle to keep it from stalling.

If what I am saying is correct, a fix might be as simple as bringing the idle up a bit, or it might be almost anything related to compression, spark or fuel that causes to idle poorly at a low RPM. It should idle at around 800 RPM in gear, without stalling. What does it currently idle at in gear, and how does it run at higher speeds?

Jon "

" Bucktracker,

Jon's ob

" Bucktracker,

Jon's observations seem to be right to me, but I would add that you might have a clogged low speed jet or two. That would cause poor running at low speed also. Likewise, excessive fuel, due to a flooding condition will also cause poor low speed performance.

Flooding will not damage the engine, but running too lean can cause serious damage. I would remove the carbs first, just to be on the safe side.

Did you manage to track down a buck this season?

Tony "

" check for missing bleed inse

" check for missing bleed inserts ( behind bypass covers ), quite common and affect low speed performance. "

" Thanks for the replies. I&#3

" Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try and do some of your recommendations this weekend.

Tony,
I have and train black labs to blood trail. They did a great job this year. They were able to find all but one deer. Not bad considering all the meat that would have gone to waste if not for them. "

" Bucktracker,

That sounds

" Bucktracker,

That sounds like a good plan. A human trying to follow a blood trail has to get lucky in order to succeed. Here in southern New York, the leaves are falling like snowflakes when the bow season begins. If you don't find the deer right away, the trail just disappears. I invested in one of those infrared game finders a couple of years ago, after a really bad experience. Fortunately, I did not have to use it yet. We are not allowed to use dogs for deer hunting here, and I hunt on state land that is limited to bow hunting for deer only. It certainly would make sense to allow hunters to use dogs to find downed deer. Maybe the DEC will figure this out someday.

Tony "

" Tony,
I'm just abo

" Tony,
I'm just about positive you can use a dog to search for wounded deer in New York, but you need a permit or licences?? There is a great group of guys in New York that does this for free. You contact them and they will send someone to find the deer for you. It's up to you if you want to give them a donation or not. They can even tell you how to get involved, if it's something you would like. Their Web page is www.deersearch.org
In Louisiana we do not have a law against using a dog to track wounded deer. But, if it is not dog season you have to leave them on a leash. Good luck next year.

Marc "

Back