Logo

1983 70hp Johnson Starter Solenoid

jnscherr

Contributing Member
How do you check to make sure

How do you check to make sure the starter solenoid is good. My battery is fully charged and my motor will not make any noise. The electric choke works but nothing else.

One other thing..I had my son

One other thing..I had my son turn the ignition key and I checked to see if I was getting power to the starter and wasn't getting anything. Does that mean the solenoid is cooked?

"turn key,ck for volts at sm y

"turn key,ck for volts at sm yell/red wire on solenoid....batt hot??..conn tight/clean?..ck fuse/repl fuse in sm red fuse holder near solenoid...normally,if its out,u should not have chk wking,but,badd conn,corrosion etc,could be doing weird things."

"prob,bad wires on ign sw,bad

"prob,bad wires on ign sw,bad sw.,bad batt cables....batt hot???..conns good/clean and TIGHT?,...ck voltage,on big post on solenoid,pos batt cable..next test---use a starter sw,from batt pos on solenoid,to yell/red wire....crank now?"

I checked the voltage at the b

I checked the voltage at the bottom post of the solenoid and there's 13v. Now I should connect the positive terminal to the yell/red wire and it should start? If it starts does that mean the solenoid is bad?

"no,that means it should crank

"no,that means it should crank...if it does,ur solenoid--ok.....then,u need to take a look at wires on sw,and do some cking there."

"i need to clarify-----u dont

"i need to clarify-----u dont disc the 2 wires,...u r jumping,from red pos to yell/red term on solenoid,...u leave wires conn....."

Yes I jumped the two wires and

Yes I jumped the two wires and nothing happened. I'm not sure of the gauge but the wire is big enough.

The starter worked that time.

The starter worked that time. Does that mean the solenoid is bad or is it still possibly a wiring issue?

Wouldn't that be the same

Wouldn't that be the same as jumping the red terminal on the bottom of the solenoid to the yell/red wire? I'm not sure what your asking me to do.Sorry

"yes,it is,but u r using heavi

"yes,it is,but u r using heavier wires,conn directly to batt...
i'm thinking ur solenoid,is good,but we need to determine that....do the test again,conn a red wire,of ur choice,...to that yell /red post.from lg red batt pos,post...***ck the grnd wire on that solenoid***"

"make SURE UR HANDLE IS IN NEU

"make SURE UR HANDLE IS IN NEUTRAL....try to crank eng,while moving handle slightly forward,then back....there is a safety sw in there."

I tried moving the handle back

I tried moving the handle back and forth and nothing happened. I jumped the red/yellow wire to the positive using cables and nothing.

"one last test---take red batt

"one last test---take red batt cable,hook on pos on solenoid,take other end conn to starter,it shouuld crank..do nothing,w/the batt cable grnds in this test.."

"O.k jwb you are the man. I to

"O.k jwb you are the man. I took all the wires off of the solenoid and sanded them down so that they were shiny. Turned the key and voila. Now, different problem. The motor ran for about 5 minutes and died. I primed it again and it ran for another 5 minutes. I'm thinking the fuel pump.What do you think?"

"holy smokes....i have'nt

"holy smokes....i have'nt recuperated...fr the above yet.........but,i am working on my destressing...liquid."

"might be a fuel line conn...l

"might be a fuel line conn...look at the orings,insd conn...if they r split,cracked,etc...repl the conn...(sucking air),other than that,sure sounds like a def fuel pump...vent on tank open,..if using plastic tanks?"

I think I found problem. As th

I think I found problem. As the motor was running the primmer bulb was being sucked in. The vents were open. I switched tanks and everything is fine. Something is wrong with the pick-up on the other tank. What it would be...I don't know. Most likely easier to just buy a new tank. Thanks for all you great information. It's nice to know that there are still good people in this world.Cheers!

Back