Logo

1982 merc 70hp 3 cyl

wjs76

please help ... this motor is killing me ... cant get it to run right ...... carbs rebuild fuel pump rebuilt new fuel lines new switchbox and still run crappy ... cant grt over 3500rpms..... motor dies and hard to start as if it floods out compression is 125 in all cyl... what are the proper carb jet adjustments ? fuel tank bad? new to the world of outboards and just want to fish! thank you guys

join the club - been trying to sort out min for 4 months now.. 1990 60hp 3 cyl..

first do the stator tests, build yourself a cheap DVA adapter for a multimeter (or buy one), write down the results and triple check.

also do the trigger tests, check spark gap testing.. im learning the hard way to follow a systematic way thru - ive already destroyed my stator thinking it was bad, and now pulled powerhead to replace seals to find they werent even leaking!

trust me i fele your pain - HOURS into my motor, and soo frustrated! bloody heck - anyway.. I have a spare yamaha laying around if i dont get to the bottom of this!

bloody outboards drive me nuts!

you should find the test specs here (im going to assume these are for OEM stators and NOT cdi ones)..

http://www.outboardignition.com/page39.asp

bear in mind they give the specs firsta nd THEN which wires to use (bit backwards imo) - id expect the wires first then readings.. oh well.. its still there -

good luck.

im about to bake my switchbox for 30mins in the oven, apparently even a tiny bit of moisture in there can make it stop working.. yes thats how desperate i am - i wish someone wd write a laymans 1-2-3 to test these darn things!

Last edited:
First do a compression test,second do a spark test,big blue snapping spark on all cylinders,then go to fuel diagnostics. Are you running new fuel in a clean tank? Were carbs rebuilt by a reputable shop,or yourself? Are you running same boat same engine as last year? Whats the condition of plugs,they could tell the story sometimes,wet,black, super clean,lite tan, oil soaked? when running pump primer bulb to see if RPMS go up. If so faulty new fuel pump.

Back