Logo

1982 Jonson 115 hp leaking fuel out of fron t of lower carb.

dngbt5

Info:
1982 Johnson 115 hp outboard. This is a rebuild that I bought and spent a lot of time getting running correctly. The last first and biggest culprit was a $12.00 bolt in the exhaust housing that was not replaced be the rebuilder. After I figured that out I have had many great hours with this motor until last season. The motor was running great however I noticed sediment in my inline fuel filter so I decided to remove and clean it. I also decided to replace my fuel lines with fuel lines from Oriellys. I then noticed that my fuel in the filter turned orange? I also had an issue with the primer bulb getting full then spilling fuel from the front of the carbs mostly the lower carb.
I then proceeded to replace the needle and seat in both carbs. I did this 2 times last season with no luck. The second time I replaced the float, I would test by blowing into the fuel lines, install, then get a nice rock solid bulb. I would let it sit, run on the muffs for a bit, then I would pump the bulb again and it would leak again.
I decided at the end of the season to empty the fuel tank, return to my original fuel lines and start fresh this season. I have just rebuilt both carbs again. I soaked them both, blasted air through every orifice, set floats correctly (level), new gaskets, new needle and seats. I primed the bulb and once again fuel poured from the carbs. I have no idea what is going on. The only thing I know of that could cause this is a stuck/heavy float, stuck needle or bad seat. These have all been replaced and cleaned. What the heck could be going on here.
I did disassemble the factory fuel pump and filter is there any way fuel could pour from the front of the carbs if it is not the needle and seats?
Could the replacement parts be junk? Please help

Hello.
did you ever figure this problem ??

QUOTE=dngbt5;574695]Info:
1982 Johnson 115 hp outboard. This is a rebuild that I bought and spent a lot of time getting running correctly. The last first and biggest culprit was a $12.00 bolt in the exhaust housing that was not replaced be the rebuilder. After I figured that out I have had many great hours with this motor until last season. The motor was running great however I noticed sediment in my inline fuel filter so I decided to remove and clean it. I also decided to replace my fuel lines with fuel lines from Oriellys. I then noticed that my fuel in the filter turned orange? I also had an issue with the primer bulb getting full then spilling fuel from the front of the carbs mostly the lower carb.
I then proceeded to replace the needle and seat in both carbs. I did this 2 times last season with no luck. The second time I replaced the float, I would test by blowing into the fuel lines, install, then get a nice rock solid bulb. I would let it sit, run on the muffs for a bit, then I would pump the bulb again and it would leak again.
I decided at the end of the season to empty the fuel tank, return to my original fuel lines and start fresh this season. I have just rebuilt both carbs again. I soaked them both, blasted air through every orifice, set floats correctly (level), new gaskets, new needle and seats. I primed the bulb and once again fuel poured from the carbs. I have no idea what is going on. The only thing I know of that could cause this is a stuck/heavy float, stuck needle or bad seat. These have all been replaced and cleaned. What the heck could be going on here.
I did disassemble the factory fuel pump and filter is there any way fuel could pour from the front of the carbs if it is not the needle and seats?
Could the replacement parts be junk? Please help[/QUOTE]

Back