Logo

1982 johnson 70 won't accelerate after hitting sandbar

blue_streak

Contributing Member
while crossing the intracoastal waterway I hit a sandbar at about 12 kts. motor bounced up so i shut it off immediately. got off of sandbar, restarted engine
fine but would not accelerate over 4 kts. engine would run up in neutral fine but would bog down upon throttling up. any ideas? timing maybe off. was running fine until then.

Ay yi yi caramba - been there and done that.
Also hit an underwater railway from the 1800's when I went into a lake in my neck of the woods for the first time.
No signage, no buoys or markers of any kind.
Locals won't tell you it's there. Lots of people go to fishing tournaments on that lake every summer.
I know a guy who took out his LU on that railway bed. Not fun.
When I had seen the underwater railroad, I smashed the throttle into reverse, but it was already too late.
Motor went flying up in the air and all hell was breaking loose.
Got away with a busted prop and a slightly bent prop shaft - which I had straightened out with a BFH and a redneck dial indicator.
Boat and motor survived that hit - was extremely lucky.
Anyway - that all being said....a thought I had is maybe you spun the prop hub when you hit the sandbar.
Mark the relationship of the prop and the hub with a marker or paint pen or what have you, and go for a boot.
See if the marks are no longer aligned.
Or maybe you bent something in the LU.
Hope you get it sorted soon!

Thanks Carmech. Still fixing cars too, but outboards are a "blast"......especially with these old pressurized fuel tanks.

Well then the key is broken. Right, Racer? Should point here to TDC. See photo of 40 flywheel.

Attachments

• IMG_20200831_145503182_compress60.jpg
    IMG_20200831_145503182_compress60.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
changed woodruff key and now the starter wont turn fast enuff to start. could i have jarred something loose while taking off the flywheel? battery, starter all good.

while taking the flywheel off I was cranking down on the puller (not too tight) and lightly tapping the top of the puller. could I have tapped something loose down the shaft?

neutral safety switch works fine. thanks. will not even crank if not in neutral. took out all plugs and turned right over fast like before. put plugs back in and
not even close to fast enuff to start. neighbor thought timing might be off but same test as above says TDC when top cyl in position. charging battery now but i have 12.55 volts.

if that works and it cranks, what does that indicate happened? not being a smartass but just curious. anything else to try as that is beyond my scope.
thanks

Really----Just nuts and bolts and the lower unit is off!----Easy as can be.-------Have to ask .----Does the tell tale hose come off the side off the block or the top ?----You will save a lot of coins by learning some of this simple stuff !--=--Then just take the starter apart for inspection and OHM test on armature.----Might need new brushes.----Take battery in for a load test.-----All simple and no money spent so far.

So the grinding noise went away now? I'm not referring to the neutral safe switch, could be the linkage adj got buggered from the strike!

Last edited:
Back