Logo

1982 50 HP Evinrude - Motor shuts down under load

8bitrulz

New guy here... I have a 1983 50HP Evinrude outboard - 2 cycle. It was my Grandfather's engine and it has sat for over 10 years. The problem I have is the engine shuts down when in the water and I put in gear and throttle up. It runs great at idle in the water and in the driveway. It also will throttle up in gear in the driveway with no issues, but in the water as you throttle up in gear, it shuts down. The cards have both (2) been rebuilt recently, new fuel pump power pack, new fuel line from gas tank to engine, new fuel connector at the engine and new fuel lines leading to carbs. I was thinking the may be something with the prop - spun hub or something wrapped on the prop shaft. Thought I maybe should throw this out to a larger audience before tearing into prop. Thanks in advance for any ideas or pointers!

They all run great on a hose.----Even in gear it is still the same as neutral.------Post the results of a compression test.----See if spark jumps a gap of 3/8" or more on both leads.

Back