Logo

1982 50 HP Evinrude couple of

moser

"1. To the left of the top cyl

"1. To the left of the top cylinder is a potted in sensor or switch. Is this some sort of overheat protection? If so how does it work?

2. On the wiring panel on the S'brd side of the rear of the engine there is a gray wire about 2 or 3 terminals down. Is this the gray wire that carries the signal to the tach? There is supposed to be a tach plug in the controller but I haven't looked. Would I be better off running the wires from the plug down through the deck and back up into the helm on a pontoon boat? This would give me switched 12v power in the helm too, wouldn't it? The controller is mounted on the rail on this pontoon.

I got one of those ebay CD manuals but it's a PITA paging thru there one page at a time looking for things. The motor works great. I'm a little afraid of it's age so I'd like some sort of OH indicator or water pressure gauge. Thanks, Mose"

The thingy is a heat sensitive

The thingy is a heat sensitive switch and sets of the alarm in the control box.The grey wire for tach should be in the control box.Never use the motor wiring harness to provide 12 volt on the boat. Wire from the battery to a fuse panel .

"OK thanks for the reply. I we

"OK thanks for the reply. I went back into the PDF file and looked at the wiring harness for that year motor, and I see the horn now. Is there any way to test the horn? I have only run the motor once and I don't think it sounded when I turned on the switch like a Merc does.

I will take the power for the tach light from the acc block, and turn it on and off with the other lights. I need a second source of switched power to the tach to power the tach itself. I need to have power to the tach that is on with the ignition switch and off with it also. Is there a wire providing accessory power that comes out of the control box?"

I also need to know where to p

I also need to know where to put the switch on the tach. With a choice of 4p 6p or 12p settings which is correct for the 1982 50 hp Evinrude?

"Do not use the motor wiring h

"Do not use the motor wiring harness to run stuff.With the key on and grounding the tan wire, it should sound the horn"

Back