Logo

1981 Mariner Trim and Tilt problem

don

I have a 1981 Mariner 115 inl

I have a 1981 Mariner 115 inline 6 with the trim and tilt pump that sits inside the boat. The trim and tilt powers up and down fine but it won't hold trim. once you tilt the motor up it will eventually bleed down. I found another pump for this unit and installed it but the unit is still bleeding down. Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem? I guess you can't buy new or rebuilt parts for this unit any longer according to the place I bought the used pump. Should I just bite the bullet and replace it with an external unit? Thanks in advance for any help.

" Don,

The simplest

" Don,

The simplest problem would be that the system just needs to be bled, and/or whatever pressure relief valve is there is open. If that is not the case, you are dealing with some type of leak internal or external to the system. Is there any sign of fluid actually leaking out?

Jon "

" Assuming that the pump is go

" Assuming that the pump is good, you probably have either a leaking hose-in which case you should see fluid somewhere- or your cylinders are worn internally. Lrt me know if you need the cylinders, I have a couple in the shop-used for $50 apiece. "

" As an addition to my last po

" As an addition to my last post, the newer style system will not fit the older engines, unless you have the entire midsection and switch the powerhead and lower unit. I also have the midsection if needed. "

Is the manual release fully c

Is the manual release fully closed. There are a number of tests that can be done at a dealer for minimal cost to isolate the problem . The other option is to install new seals on the pistons.

" Thanks a lot for getting bac

" Thanks a lot for getting back to me so fast, guys. Assuming I don't see any external leaks...how do I go about determining if the problem is internal in the pump or in the pistons? "

Back