Logo

1981 Johnson Seahorse 2hp J2RCIB Initial Starting Adjustments Question

jaclark91

I just rebuilt the carburetor on this engine. The initial starting adjustments say to turn the high and low speed needle valves in until they seat lightly, however the line on the plastic knobs that snap on the end of the needle valves hit the line that sticks out of the cover before the needle valves fully seat. Do I take the knobs off and continue screwing them in a few more turns until they fully seat, or stop when the lines on the knob and cover hit?

Also does anyone know where I can get some replacement knobs for this motor? Mine are kinda brittle and I could see them breaking in the near future, everywhere I have looked says out of stock and discontinued.

Yes, you'll have to rotate, pull the knobs off, and rotate again to turn the needle valves all the way in to lightly seated position. I'm seeing the part number for the knobs as 319168, but it looks like they're unavailable at marineengine.com. You may have to do some looking around to find the exact replacements.

Check with Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN 218 682 2331. Teresa, Mike, or Dan just might have your parts. Not sure on preliminary needle setting on these but count your turns going in and up to where the needles lightly seat and mark that down. After cleaning the carb, simply duplicate what they were set and replace the adjustment knob/knobs, in the very middle of their allowance.

Thanks guys. Yeah I found the part number and looked everywhere for the knobs online but couldn't find any. I actually don't care if I get the originals or not, surely there must be some cheap knob I can buy that would snap on. Not sure what to look for though. Mine aren't broken yet though so I will check with tims outboard if I cant find anything else by the time these break.

Back