Logo

1981 Evinrude e50becic timing setup

hjalbertiii

Greetings all and thank you in advance. I posted on a different sites forum but thought this would be the more appropriate place. I have a 1981 Evinrude e50becic. I need a picture or specifications/directions on where every thing should be set just to be able to get the motor to run at idle with the throttle plates shut in order to follow the manual instructions (OMC service manual for 50/55/60 models) on syncronizing the timing/carbs. A good picture of a properly set motor's linkage (same era/design) would be awesome. If someone can provide that and get me in the ball park that would be awesome! I will be extremely grateful. From now on I will photograph everything before messing with it.

The following is optional to read, and a huge learning experience for me.
It's a long story, but I know everything is out of place because I'm the moron that did it.
I've owned the boat and motor for 12 years. It's always been a dog, a very reliable dog though. Top speed was 23 mph, drank gas, and wouldn't plane with more than 2 people. My assumption was that the hull was water logged. I was wrong. I recently got up the "motivation" to figure out what was what. I started by weighing the boat and motor with my tractor with anything that could be easily removed taken out. It weighed in at about 650lbs. Definitely not the cause. Compression on both cylinders right at 135psi. I rebuilt the carbs, ordered new plugs, wires, coils, and a fuel pump, just in case. The coils weren't exactly the same as the old ones so I didn't install them, and started messing with linkage. Then I bought the manual, and also watched some videos. When I tried timing it i wasn't getting a signal on number one, and a very faint signal on number two. I tried the light on my Camaro, and very faint signal. So I figured my harbor freight timing light bit the dust (which it had). The next day it hit me. I should have had a faint signal on number one also. Come to find out, number one coil was dead all these years. So now I've got everything right, but I don't have the timing set correctly, and it will barely run with throttle plates shut. It idled great before on only one cylinder but the number two throttle was cracked open slightly when at idle.
If you got this far and I can clarify anything, let me know. Otherwise thank you!

Back