Logo

1981 Evinrude 70 hp water expelling out

rls383

Hello everyone, I am a newby here.I have replaced the water pump assy., Thermostat, Exhaust seal,on a 1981 Evinrude 70 hp (ECIM) Engine. It runs great and now has strong water pressure and peeing good out of the pee hose very good.( Strong Stream at idle)What I am concerned about is water is expelling out of the front weep hole ( where it mounts to the exhaust housing) and out the side vent holes, And running out and over the top of the lower unit rubber mounts and some out of the two upper exhaust holes that are next to each other on the rear of the engine.I have been a mechanic for over 30 yrs. On small engine's,Jet Ski engine's and some outboard engine's. I have replaced several of these water pump housing kits on all different brands. I made sure to line up the pump outlet with the water tube and it has a new rubber seal as well.I don't remember seeing this amount of water coming out of several places like this.I know water surround's the exhaust port and outer housing,But I don't know if this is normal for this engine.I dont use the muff's for water supply.I have a 60 gallon square tank that I use for testing outboard engine's.Any advise would be greatly appreciated on this issue. Thank y'all.

I forot to add this, The Evinrude part number superceded several times. It finally ended up being Part# 391634 then to Part# 432955. < This is the one I installed on this engine. Thanks again.

Hello everyone, I am a newby here.I have replaced the water pump assy., Thermostat, Exhaust seal,on a 1981 Evinrude 70 hp (ECIM) Engine. It runs great and now has strong water pressure and peeing good out of the pee hose very good.( Strong Stream at idle)What I am concerned about is water is expelling out of the front weep hole ( where it mounts to the exhaust housing) and out the side vent holes, And running out and over the top of the lower unit rubber mounts and some out of the two upper exhaust holes that are next to each other on the rear of the engine.I have been a mechanic for over 30 yrs. On small engine's,Jet Ski engine's and some outboard engine's. I have replaced several of these water pump housing kits on all different brands. I made sure to line up the pump outlet with the water tube and it has a new rubber seal as well.I don't remember seeing this amount of water coming out of several places like this.I know water surround's the exhaust port and outer housing,But I don't know if this is normal for this engine.I dont use the muff's for water supply.I have a 60 gallon square tank that I use for testing outboard engine's.Any advise would be greatly appreciated on this issue. Thank y'all.
Ayuh,..... No problem,..... The entire lower unit / exhaust cavity is usually very, Very wet with water,....

Back