Logo

1981 90hp johnson v4 spark issue

wheels113

i have a v4 81 90 hp top cylinder on starboard side has no spark its been gutless for last three trips out any help would be appreciated what do you think it is im thinking coil?

i would swap the wire from the coil and the plug first with another cylinder...then if it still fails i would swap the coil..be careful and dont cross any plug wires....this motor will sheer a flywheel key rather quickly if the firing order is wrong..if the problem stays with the same cylinder you may have a bad power pack but first check for a backed out pin in the connector to the timer..this is a small round connector between the power pack and the under side of the flywheel..this is a known problem on these motors and if a pin is making point to point contact instead of being seated then i have had one cylinder fail as you have...

Hi. I have this exact motor. Let me know if you don't come right. I ended up completely removing the rubber connector plugs between the power packs and coils as the connections were always a little questionable.

I left the other larger plugs after confirming that the connections were 100 percent correct.

As papyson said you want to try and narrow this down to either a coil,plug, plug wire, power pack or coil. This is effectively done by swapping parts out from one side of the motor to other until you notice the problem moves or you can generate spark in all cylinders.

good luck.

Back