Logo

1981 90hp Evinrude E90TLCIM Timer Base linkage worn

DJ_in_Oz

Hi All,
New to this forum and boats, so excuse lack of knowledge.
I have an Evinrude 90hp E90TLCIM outboard that experiences idle issues sometimes and also sometimes cutting out when moving into gear or running at low speeds. Always seems ok when running at high speed.
When looking at the engine I have noticed that the linkage from the throttle to the timer base seems to have worn through the blue plastic arm and is very loose.
I have attached a photograph, the link arm moves up and down and is loose in the blue plastic link, looks like it has worn through the original hole.
Do you think this is what could be causing my problems?

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

DJ

Attachments

• EF6B24CF-317C-4507-AA56-82D28C838FEF.jpeg
    EF6B24CF-317C-4507-AA56-82D28C838FEF.jpeg
    315.1 KB · Views: 42
The timer base appears to be a replacement.----My advice is always the same.----Post compression test numbers on this 40 year old motor.

Cylinder 1.jpegCylinder 2.jpegCylinder 3.jpegCylinder 4.jpeg

Hey Racerone,

OK, so I have finally done my compression test, I did it cold and warm to see if there was much difference, there wasn't. I've also attached photo's of the spark plugs.

Cold:
1: 95, 90, 90 (Top left cylinder from back of boat)
2: 90, 90, 90 (Bottom left cylinder from back of boat)
3: 95, 90, 90 (Top right cylinder from back of boat)
4: 95, 95, 95 (Bottom Right cylinder from back of boat)

Warm:
1: 90, 90, 90 (Top left cylinder from back of boat)
2: 85, 85, 90 (Bottom left cylinder from back of boat)
3: 95, 95, 95 (Top right cylinder from back of boat)
4: 95, 95, 95 (Bottom right cylinder from back of boat)

Not great I'm guessing....

Thanks,

DJ

Do a maximum spark output test.----Does spark jump a gap of 7/16" on all leads ?---Some will argue.------Compression numbers like that on my tester means the motor comes apart for repairs.----Note ,---the top cylinder on the right ( starboard ) is # 1 and top on port side is #2.

Hi,

Done the spark plug test, sparks were a strong blue spark that jumps the 7/16" on all leads.

I was thinking I haven't serviced my fuel pump since I have had the boat, read on some threads that it is good to replace the diaphragm on these once a year or so....??? I think there are service kits available.

What do you think my next step should be?

Cheers,

DJ

Well---Yes a fuel pump kit is easy to install.-----Some testing can be done.------Does the primer bulb ( manual pump ) go hard ?--- -How does your motor run if you assistant operates the manual pump ?-----The fuel pump is driven by PRESSURE pulses from the crankcase .----There may be issues there.

You could also check your float bowls on your carbs. If you have the plastic ones, they can warp, and cause a very slight air leak. I had similar issues, and sanding my bowls flat on a piece of glass fixed it for my 1990 90 hp johnson.

The female socket is missing in da hole......
images

Back