Logo

1981 150 hp Mariner

joe bald

I have the chance to get one on the back of a 1981 skeeter for very cheap. I can't really seem to find much info on this motor though...good or bad? merc or yamaha make? Any input would be appreciated. I am going to check it out soon and would like to know. It does run, but I have not ran compression tests yet. Just would like some input from others with knowledge of this motor.

Thanks!!!

3E13J53N35Ib5G55E5d1j69563249db931013.jpg

I would say it is a V-6 Mercury with a grey paint job.----------Are you sure on the year?------Serial # by any chance?

Not positive on the year, and won't be able to get a serial til I go look at it.. To me( not saying that I know much lol) it looks like a mid to later 80's ya?

The early mariner motors were Yamaha built up to the 2 cylinder 60 HP.----Bigger ones were Mercury with a grey paint job.-------This was a " marketing trick " to gain market share in total motor sales by Brunswick the parent company of both brands.

There is no telling what condition the motor is in.------Does the motor come with warranty ??---------Careful when you buy a used motor privately !!----------Test compression and better yet take it for a test run of 20 minutes out on the water.

Back