Logo

1980's Mercury Outboard Won't Shift

BHassett

Hi, hoping someone can point in the right direction. New to the forum and boats. 1988 Bayliner Capri with 1980's Mercury 150 HP outboard.

- Put boat in the water for the first time

- Start the boat up and and I noticed the motor wasn't spitting out as much water as maybe it should be (not sure if that's related)

- I shift into reverse and runs for a second but then stalls.

- Back to neutral but shifting was tough. Boat won't start.

- Take a look at linkage and it's still in reverse position and won't move.

- Trying to get it move I mess with the shifter and its in the forward position now but completely locked. No change to the linkage. No matter what I did it didn't move out reverse.

- I took apart the shifter box and those gears inside move freely when taken apart.

- Linkage doesnt move when try to move it manually.

Thanks,
Bill

Not spitting as much water as it should could be down to a plugged tell tale.Push a bit of wire in or blow some air through.
As to the gear hard to shift,drop the lower unit and try and shift the gears with a vice-grip,wrap a piece of cloth around the shift-shaft first.If the gears shift easier,have a look at the cable,disconnect it from the arm and see how it moves.And while the unit is off,you might as well change the impeller as this is a new to you motor.
When you say it won't start,is the starter engaging? Have you spark? Is fuel getting to the plugs? And as you are new to boats I have to ask,is this a 2stroke or 4 stroke and if it is 2 stroke,did you premix the fuel?

Thanks for the response.

It won't start because the boats in gear. It has the neutral switch deal that will only allow it to start in neutral.

2 stroke and did premix the fuel.

Im going to give your other suggestions a shot this evening and will update the thread.

Thanks again. Very much appreciated.

Back