Logo

1980 mercury 98

jacko

" I recently purchased a 1980

" I recently purchased a 1980 9.8 merc, I had the marina do the 100 hour service including a water pump before putting the motor on the boat, {as a kicker} The motor pumps very little water at idle, it just spits out if anything, at higher rpm's the stream is ok but some what intermittant. the marina is telling me this is normal for this older type of motor, Does this sound normal to you or am I getting the bums rush?
thanks, jack "

" Thanks for your reply, after

" Thanks for your reply, after reading previous posts and with your responce I am going back to the marina, $150 bucks for plugs,pump and gear oil and out the door I go. The biggest problem is getting the motor on and off the sailboat. Anyway, I believe there is no blockage but air is getting sucked up instead of water, How do you find or check area's that are not sealing completely???? thanks, jack "

"Hi, I have a 1982 9.8 Merc an

"Hi, I have a 1982 9.8 Merc and at idle I dont get a stream, it only seems to appear at about half throttle. So i believe the marina is correct, it probably was a problem for this model."

"I have a 1964 Merc 110, and i

"I have a 1964 Merc 110, and it pumps like crazy at idle. You might try poking at the tell-tale hole with a coat hanger.

Jeff

PS: Long as the cavitation plate is underwater, you are not pulling in air."

Some motors had a thermostat.

Some motors had a thermostat. If you remove it (test only) then the motor should discharge water right away on start-up and at idle.If it does not you would be wise to correct the problem.Also the impellers on the 3.9 /4.5 /7.5 /9.8 hp are notorious for having a short life span.

"Thankyou for your ideas, I am

"Thankyou for your ideas, I am sure that the intake is underwater and my motor does not have a thermostat, I will check to see if there is any blockage in the 'tell tale' hole next summer when im using it. The motor had been sitting for about 10 years and I havent changed the impeller. Even without use in that time might it be a good idea to change the impeller anyway?"

"Those impellers are to put it

"Those impellers are to put it mildly a bad design. CHANGE it, as you do not have a warning system on that motor.The warning that you get is the motor slowing down and your wallet going empty.The tell tale is an indicator and NOT a warning system as you do not look at it while under way."

"I have a 80hp mercury blue ba

"I have a 80hp mercury blue ban motor.
When putting it in reverse the rpm are very high, motor jumps out of water before it engages in reverse .Can you tell me what to do."

"There is a part that should l

"There is a part that should lock on the tilt pin when going to reverse,is it there and does it move at all?? You may need to adjust the shift and finally was the motor worked on recently??"

Thank you for your reply
I ha

Thank you for your reply
I have hydraulic lift. Out of the water reverse will engage but in the water it grinds but will not go into gear

"I have a 80hp Mercury Blue Ba

"I have a 80hp Mercury Blue Band Motor, when in reverse gear it seems to slip every few seconds with a clunking sound. Other than that, every thing runs fine. Hopefully an adjustemnt is required. Can you advise?"

"Have fixed problem. The troub

"Have fixed problem. The trouble was the cable, had to be adjusted."

"Thanks for the advise, only n

"Thanks for the advise, only new to this game, have a manual which is great if you want to pull the whole outboard apart but does not contain much on adjustements and fine tuning."

Back