Logo

1980 Mercury 90HP OB Idle trouble

"1980 Mercury 90 HP Outboard

"1980 Mercury 90 HP Outboard
Model: 1090620 90ELPTO
Serial: 7179095

I am battling an idle issue. Engine won't idle less than 1200rpm in gear & 1600 rpm in neutral. and at idle (backing off trailer, or trying to line up to drive on trailer) engine loads up and dies. Twice I have had it in the water and twice I have had to winch it on the trailer. After the first run, about an hour on the water, I stopped and adjusted the idle mixture screws on the carbs. Went in with screw til skip, out till smooth, then 1/4 turn out past smooth, on all 3 carbs. Still acts like it loads up, stalls, and floods. Any thoughts anyone? When I'm in the water, I'd really like to be fishin' instead of sweating engine trouble.
angry.gif
Thanks in advance for all your help
happy.gif
"

You have checked the 5 bleed i

You have checked the 5 bleed inserts? --- little plastic bits between cylinders ------ you remove the bypass covers to look for them. You can inspect the pistons and rings at the same time. Good trouble shooting is a must.

"Does this engine have the ble

"Does this engine have the bleed inserts? as far as I know this engine has not been disassembled, and to my knowledge if they are supposed to be there, I guess they are there. And if they are there, what would be wrong with them?"

These are tiny plastic pieces

These are tiny plastic pieces with a small hole.They tend to get pushed out of place and fall in the lake.On my rebuilds I install an 8-32 setscrew with the same size hole and ---NO MORE PROBLEM.

"Do you have to remove the pow

"Do you have to remove the powerhead to service the bleed inserts? I just looked in my service manual and saw them.(5 inserts- bottom cyl doesen't get one, right?) Just wondering how involved a job like this is? Boy, I'd hate to tear in this thing and inserts be fine
uhoh.gif
Thanks for your input.
happy.gif
"

"Simple , you remove the intak

"Simple , you remove the intake bypass covers. You then use a tooth pick to see if you can touch the piston in the cylinder below.Stick the toothpick in the hole and rotate the flywheel , get the picture?"

Back