Logo

1980 Mariner 4 a hp gear housing plug question.

wassajet

Contributing Member
Hi, I have a 1980 4a hp. Mariner 2 stroke outboard,on the gear housing assembly there is a third plug located on the left of the oil level plug (top plug) this plug is stamped ( WASH ) & seems to be a little bit larger than the other two oil plugs. I looked up the diagrams parts list & found that the part # for the plugs is 22-81924m. & three of them were required, but on the diagram itself i can only see two plugs shown. My questions are..(1) is this third plug for flushing the motor & if so what kind of fitting would i attach to it? (2) why isn't it shown on the diagram & (3) if it's the same part # as the other two plugs , why is it a little bit larger ? All help will be very much appreciated thank you.

Yes, it is for flushing the motor. Same as on my 30 HP. I haven't had much luck using mine for flushing - the water just runs out the water intake and never reaches the head. There is a fitting that screws into the "Wash" port - it has a female hose receptacle. Might be available thru a dealer?

Thanks again, I haven't had a chance to see my dealer yet, if he can't come up with something i'll flush it in i drum of water.

Back