Logo

1980 Johnson 35 throttle travel question

Bock16

Hello - I'm new to the forum and new to boats so please cut me some slack.

I've driven the boat 1x and noticed that the throttle control lever would not stay put at wot. It would slowly creep back down to somewhere around 1/2-3/4 throttle. Additionally where the lever has a good positive stop (assumed wot) I could push slightly past it by applying a small amount of force to gain more RPMS.
Back home I replaced the throttle cable (as I learned my gear shift cable was slipping so I replaced them both). While setting up my throttle cable I took a closer look at the travel of the carb linkage. When cycling through to the positive stop that I'm calling the "assumed wot" all seems to be in order but I am thinking maybe the safety pin style spring near the throttle control rod is worn causing it to creep back?
As for the additional RPMs gained past "assumed wot": With all linkage removed and pushing with my hand on the throttle control mount, I notice that the linkage wants to push into the lower housing on the bottom side of the lower motor cover. Topside, on the carb linkage itself, the cam roller will travel downward when pushed thus pushing the carb butterfly more, but the armature will not move anymore. The throttle control shaft and spring will actually be pushed the opposite direction (pivoting in the oblong slot on the plate) and then immediately kick back when pressure is released.

Does this sound like normal functionality?

thanks,
Brandon

Back