Logo

1980 90 HP Mercury Checked out Stator amp Trigger

"1980 Mercury 90 HP O/B
Mode

"1980 Mercury 90 HP O/B
Model: 1090620 90ELPTO Made In Canada
Serial: 7179095 Date Of Purchase 09/18/1981

No Fire on #5 Cylinder

I just checked out my stator and trigger resistance. According to the Seloc manual and information off the internet, all readings are within specs, with an exception of the altenator windings (read 1 ohm - shorted). I then checked the rectifier and found it shorted. I'm assuming that with a shorted rectiifer, the coil in stator shorted (burned up). Wheeww! I am so glad I checked the rectifier before I installed the new stator I ordered (cause the yellow altenator wires were badly decayed, wonder why....Duh!). Anyhow, With that said, I swapped input wires on #5 coil with #6 #5 fired, #6 didn't, so #5 coil tested good. Am I now to assume the switchbox is bad causing #5 not to fire? Also, I need to know what a DVA (Peak Voltage) reading comes from, coil wire to plug? wire from switchbox to coil? or maybe wire from trigger to switchbox? I dont have a DVA Adapter or a meter with a DVA scale. How important is this DVA reading? Guess I need to order a switchbox and a rectifier to go on with the stator thats on the way ...huh?
angry.gif
"

"Astro,

I think it has to b

"Astro,

I think it has to be the switchbox. The trigger has three coils; each one fires two cylinders. If one trigger coil is bad you would lose ignition on two cylinders.

Tony"

Back