Logo

1980 50 horse mercury outboard water pump impeller replacement help!

People say it doesn't matter but I have seen them in the housing with vanes bent the wrong way, so I do not subscribe to that theory. Here is what I do Grab the drive shift in a fist with your right hand and turn the shaft the way your thumb is pointing. Put the impeller on with the key installed then lube up the impeller housing with dish soap. Now turn the driveshaft and push the housing down over the impeller everything will be correct. You are going to want to find all the old impeller parts as they could be up in the motor so keep an eye on the temp and waterflow when you start it.

Last edited:
People say it doesn't matter but I have seen them in the housing with vanes bent the wrong way, so I do not subscribe to that theory. Here is what I do Grab the drive shift in a fist with your right hand and turn the shaft the way your thumb is pointing. Put the impeller on with the key installed then lube up the impeller housing with dish soap. Now turn the driveshaft and push the housing down over the impeller everything will be correct. You are going to want to find all the old impeller parts as they could be up in the motor so keep an eye on the temp and waterflow when you start it.

So looking down it would be spinning clockwise?

And the vanes should lag, bend backwards.

Jeff

PS: You'd better get the old vanes out of there or you'll have new problems.

Back