Logo

1980 2 stroke 80 hp....Issues and questions

dano626

Just got a 1980 model 800 80HP. Motor starts right up, revs up while out of water......Dies under load as soon as its put in gear. Compression in cylinders are 120-125. Fuel pump rebuilt, and carbs being rebuilt as I type. While tearing down carbs decided to check spark. Cylinders 1 and 2 are great. Weak to no spark on 3 and 4. Started to inspect wiring. Stator wires crumbled apart, new one already here and installed. Wiring harness from switchbox to ignition coils for 3 & 4 crumbled as well. Made my own harness and replaced....

Just noticed trigger plate assembly wires fell apart as well, couldnt see the wire to cyl 4 was crumbling inside the harness, no indication of wire for cyl 3, but suspect it is shot at the assembly itself. Hoping this is the final issue with spark on cylinders 3 & 4. Anything else I should look at?

Cant get this damn flywheel off to access the trigger plate assembly so had to order the flywheel remover that screws into top of flywheel. Hopefully that will help me get it off....

Question.... I removed the flywheel from the base via the 6 bolts on top. Indexed the base to motor, but not flywheel. Does the flywheel have to match up exactly where I took it off or do I have to time it now? Easiest way to time without dial indicator??

Thanks to all in advance. Actually learned alot about 2 stroke outboards in the last week.

Pull plug no.1,rotate crank until piston is a TDC,use a pencil or something like that, to feel,place flywheel with timing marks at/as close to pointer/alignment mark as possible.Should be good

Back