Logo

198 Johnson 200 VRO Water leak

B

btclark

" I have 2 questions:
1. Noti

" I have 2 questions:
1. Notice the ? in the year of my engine, it's because my model number does not conform to the description in the Clymer manual I bought (covering years 197? - 1990). The manual says to number the leters in the word "Introduces" and match the last 2 letters of the model number to the word to get the year, the last 2 letters in my model number are "EA", there is no "A" in the word "Introduces"?? The serial number on the same plate matches the one I found on a water plug on the engine block. Am I missing something? Nearest I can tell it's a 87 because the wiring matches for that year...
2. Not sure if water is supposed to leak out of a hole in the engine block just behind the drive shaft where the engine mounts to the leg? I can just barely see the hole, it looks rough but maybe a hose is supposed to connect in it and aim the water down? Water flows out with gravity as it drains from the engine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
brian "

"BT..... It's not the last

"BT..... It's not the last letters in the model number, but they are in there. Reply with the complete model number and we'll pinpoint what you have.

The water leak will need a bit more of a description, explanation. Are you speaking of where the powerhead attaches to the exhaust housing (the long hsg between the powerhead and the lower unit), or where the lower unit bolts on? A little more detail's needed there.

Joe
"

" Ok, I will get the complete

" Ok, I will get the complete model number later when I am home.

About the water leak, I mean where the power head attaches to the exhaust housing. There appears to be a ~6inch section the power head bolts directly to. I can see the hole where the water is leaking if I look up past the drive shaft through the opening where the stearing arm bolts to the exhaust housing (2 big bolt hold the exhaust housing to the stearing arm, one on each side)
And the hole is above the section the power head bolts to, looking like the hole is in the power head case itself. It is very difficult to see past the flash light needed to light it up in there....

thanks much for the help... "

Ok Ok... The model number is

Ok Ok... The model number is "J200TXCEA"
thanks much

"BC.... The "CE" in th

"BC.... The "CE" in the model number designates your engine to be a 1989 200hp Johnson.

The 6" section you speak of would be the powerhead adapter plate. There would be two holes in the forward section area, one for the driveshaft, and the other for the shift rod.

In the lower unit section, there should be a fairly large rubber grommet seal on top of the shift housing (approx 1" high x 1-1/4" dia), and a ridged type rubber grommet seal on top of the water pump that surrounds the driveshaft. If the water pump seal is missing or damaged, that would allow water to travel up the driveshaft tube with quite a force. some may travel up there anyhow under normal conditions but not as bad.

Joe
"

" Ok, I will check water comin

" Ok, I will check water coming up from the bottom of the driveshaft tube...
The leak I am seeing is draining from the hole for ~1 min after the engine is turned off (I think it is the water draining from the power head) I was hoping it was a normal drain but maybe not?..... "

Back